1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kansas City Star refuses to publish 'Redskins'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Sep 30, 2012.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Exactly. And when did it become OK for newspapers to stop being objective.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Exactly that, too. And the public editor's writing seems awfully pretentious.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

They could go the Gregg Eastabrook route and call them "The Potomic Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons"
    I agree the team should change their name. Unlike with Florida State and Central Michigan, Washington's NFL team isn't honoring a specific tribe. My sister is a graduate of CMU and every few years there is a push to change the nickname and more often than not the Saginaw Bay Band of Chippewa Indians voices support for the teams using the name. I think in the case of most other colleges using tribal names, the tribe has OK'd the use of the name.
    But in the case of the Redskins, what tribe is being honored? None. There is a line between honoring a culture and playing up its negative stereotypes. If the Star wants to call out the franchise for 80 years of using a racist nickname, they should.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And given what we know about the founding Redskins owner George Preston Marshall, we can doubt that he came up with the name as a homage to Native Americans.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, quite the brave battle by a newspaper halfway across the country. Downright fucking courageous.

Especially one a town where the NFL team is named the Chiefs.

6. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

This paper has put on such airs for a long time. Not surprising.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

It's a racist nickname. When a paper omits an offensive word from a quote, or chooses not to run the n-word, do you question their objectivity? Same case here. They view the name as offensive, as a vulgarity. Calling into question their objectivity is a weak argument that holds no weight.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a problem with the NBA logo that has a white guy from West Virginia, crew cut and all, that represents a league with deep history in the African American community?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Apples and ashtrays

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

No, but I get incensed when I see newspapers that don't know "white trash" has racist implications.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

They had (or still do; not sure) a similar policy with the Cleveland Indians, too. That made things interesting when they used the cap for each team in preview boxes for the upcoming game; if I remember correctly they ran a plan blue cap in place of the Chief Wahoo cap.

12. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

It's The Oregonian that has a policy against using Indians or Redskins, or Warriors if it's a Native American reference. Policy has been in place for at least 15 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted