1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kansas City Hornets of the NBA?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Those can be the best markets for the NBA. A city where it's the only show in town.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Couldn't the Hornets split time at Sprint Center and the Qwest Center?

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

See Portland.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any demand for a second team downtown, but if you put a team in the Northwerstern suburbs, it could do well.

There are a ton of big companies that are headquartered out there and there's a big & wealthy population not interested in coming downtown.

I think they could attract the sponsorship dollars, corporate ticket buyers, family fan base, and eventually TV audience to be successful.

The only question would be an arena. The Allstate Arena (The Rosemont) is old and probably not suited for an NBA team, and the Sears Center (opened in 2006) only holds 11,000. It's also a little too far away.

But, something in Schaumburg would would do well. It's really not a bad idea.

But, I also don't know that anyone wants to build a third suburban arena.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Classic example of billionaire owners extorting multiple arenas out of taxpayers, attempting to extort more, then threatening to move when they don't get their way.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

With AEG running the Sprint Center, a stupid owner would have to sign on to that. I don't know how much more money can be made in KC than in New Orleans under that scenario.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You could say that about any city, even during boom times.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They should just let AEG own and run multiple teams.

It seems like it's worked out well for MLS. They've had 13 straight years of uninterrupted growth.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And Charlotte, in the Hornets' early days. Used to sell out the entire season before the first game.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can't see Chicago getting a second team. The Clippers have never done well being L.A.'s second team, although Donald Sterling has a lot to do with that.

And the Nets, at least until they move to Brooklyn, have always been second-fiddle to the Knicks, even during their two Finals runs a few years back.

11. Crash

Crash Active Member

I'd be shocked if Louisville doesn't make a play for either the Hornets or Kings if both are intent on moving.

12. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Agreed. Brand new arena. Decent-sized city. No NBA rival for miles. No other pro (MLB, NFL, NHL, MLS, whatever) to compete with.

Draft saved Draft deleted