1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kajieme Powell shooting, on camera

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 22, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

He was most certainly moving toward them when the guns were fired. He seemed to be about to back off but then walked along the small curb/wall toward the officer on the left. It could have been handled in a different way, and I do feel bad that this obviously mentally ill man is dead, but I don't blame the officers at all. This is what they are trained to do when presented with a potentially deadly situation. You can say that this man could not have injured the officer from that distance, but you would be wrong.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

How close were they supposed to let him get?

3. old_tony

So is your position that it doesn't exist because you can't see it? Because I'm pretty sure you didn't see the bullets, either.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, Ferguson wasn't unique in that regard. The reaction to Ferguson is much more notable.

Since this isn't a world governed by the unbending logic of a child declaring uniform behavior out of his stuffed animals, variables and shit are involved.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't see this death as a failure of those two cops. I see it as a cumulative failure of three decades of policies -- usually tied to the "war on drugs" or a politician needing to be "tough on crime" -- that may been enacted with good intentions, but have become disasters.

The deceased wasn't a person. He was a "threat." That is, a threat to others, which the police were nominally protecting, by immediately pointing their guns at him, and later a threat to the police themselves.

Would we prefer they put down their guns and risk getting a wound to disarm the guy? Maybe. Would we prefer they get in back in the car and try to talk the guy down? Maybe. But they'd get in more trouble for doing that than they would have doing what they did. And what if they didn't disarm the guy, and a single tooth of that knife grazed, even superficially, the arm of an innocent bystander? That's a million-dollar lawsuit. That's the end of those guys' careers. And what if that knife found its way into a child? That's a national outrage.

It's fine mess, that we're into.

6. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Well said

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Agree the war on drugs is nowhere near a success. If that's the case, how will a war on guns (making guns illegal) solve the gun problem.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Who is suggesting that? I don't think you'll find many people who think the war on drugs is a success. And I think you'll find about as many people who want guns made illegal.

9. old_tony

How has the War on Poverty worked out?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It would work out a lot better if people stopped having children at an inverse proportion to their income.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It was junked in the 1980s for the broad agenda of the folks who worked under Reagan.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't blame individual officers. This is how they are trained and this is what they are told to do. But we have a "police shooting people" problem in this country and broad solutions would be useful.

Draft saved Draft deleted