1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Journalist and the Pharma Bro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I imagine that was Elle’s hope and dream.

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Not at all. People here and on social media went on about The Atlantic's rich-family sports story just a few weeks ago, among other magazine features released in 2020. This story sure blew up, but it's not "the buzziest" and "most read" story in "several years;" not by a long shot.

The "Pharma Bro" story picked up because many people are on vacation and have time to sit down, read the thing, and share it in their online circles. Plus, everyone hates the guy, and this story dives into the juicy detail of a woman actually falling in love with the maniac.

Slacker likes this.
  3. I disagree. But, to each their own.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think this story got a lot of passalong for the reasons mentioned, and because this sort of Bluebeard / jailhouse romance / prison fiance story is a regular subgenre of American popular letters. There's a long tradition here, going back way past Victorian newspapers and penny dreadfuls.

Certainly Charlie Manson and Ted Bundy got plenty of proposals in prison.

The 10 Most Infamous Murderers Who Married in Prison

Becoming ‘Mrs. Mark David Chapman’: A killer’s wife explains why she stayed

So the story is one of a type. And people, for whatever reason, love them.

Without reference to the quality of the writing, among my reservations here were these:

- Are we taking advantage of or mocking someone with a psychological or emotional problem?

- Is she a reliable narrator?

- Who are the other sources?

- How did Shkreli find out there was a story underway?

- How did the writer get Shkreli's closing comment?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I am sensitive to this question because of family circumstances, but how far down that road should we go? She is a limited public figure and that gives Elle more leeway even beyond the legal end. That said, our current click-first, ask-questions-later culture means any consideration of a subject’s state is fleeting at best.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Something about the timing of everything strikes me more as a publicity grab and please buy the rights to make a movie/Netflix tiger king limited series so we can all get rich thing.

feels like next month, month after, story will drop about a deal being made.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

So, another concern: Are we being played for suckers?

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

She may have cooperated for the piece because she is hoping to re-stoke interest in a book.

But there isn't good reason to believe that anything in that story isn't true. Some of the big stuff is corroborated, too. For example the e-mails with Shrkeli that were cited in court filings and that may have landed him a longer sentence.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Coming to Netflix December 2021:

Badchoiceasil: The Pharma Bro Romance starring Elizabeth Moss and Jimmi Simpson

Elliotte Friedman likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Maybe Trump will pardon Pharma Bro when he pardons Joe Exotic.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

the short answer is yes. The longer answer is also yes. I suppose there’s a third angle of angling for a presidential pardon.

Giving someone like pharma bro a pardon would be the real cherry on top of the shot sundae that has been 2020.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I know this seems to be settled law when it comes to journalism these days, but...

The note at the bottom of the story said it won’t publish until the March issue. And Elle doesn’t have ads on its page, so, why did they share it so early? Maybe they have some kind of revenue agreement with the fashion labels in the photo shoots?

I know modern practice is to just share something as soon as it’s ready, and I’m sure there are reasons. Sometimes I’m not 100% sure what they are, though.

Maybe the March story can be expanded with an update? Surely all this traffic results in some new subs.

Just made me think some.

Draft saved Draft deleted