1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Journalism Bowl: Ohio vs. Missouri, this week!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 18, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

... that the winner is still bad enough to enable Florida State's inside rushing game. :D

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Spread is 21 1/2 at the moment.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sportschick, might I suggest a slight change to your avatar text. "Muck Fizzou" is what we use around these parts.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

No, dude ... I got it. Go read the threads about the troubles at the Dallas Morning News, the firings that ensued after Paxton bought the paper in Durham NC, publishers who assume that one complaining caller means tens of thousands of agreeing readers, business-side people getting perks while reporters get their raises frozen and benefits slashed, &c &c &c.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

Unfortunately, yes.

This one. :(

Two links there, folks.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

A Brad Smith-less Mizzou is like PTI with LeBatard.

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Good call on Florida, coffee, but it doesn't take away from the mystique of this weekend's Journo Bowl.

And a few notes, for the record ...

— Ohio State University (perhaps we should call them TOSU, as I did during an awful column written years ago) will no longer offer a journalism degree to incoming freshmen. Only students who entered the school prior to the spring 2006 semester will be eligible. For all intents and purposes, the program was sliced, diced and merged with the College of Communication. Therefore, TOSU is no longer a journalism school.

— Ohio will cover the spread. Write it down now and wager a bit of money.

— Jay Mariotti is not an Ohio University alumnus. Like Matt Lauer, he left for a job prior to degree completion. Unlike Lauer, he never returned to Athens.

Go Bobcats! Muck Fizzou!

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Except the offense is suddenly effective through the air and the ground now. I love me some Brad Smith, but Mizzou's offense ultimately might be more of a threat without him.

9. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

OK, this won't be trash talk, but reading this thread got me thinking back to the horrendous state of OU football when I went to school there, early 1990s. Whenever I tell people I went to Ohio U., most of the time they ask me, "how about those Buckeyes?" And I correct them and this is the story I end up telling to illustate the difference.

1993 season, OU gets served up as the opening day patsy for North Carolina. Bobcats lose 44-6. Second game, they go to Central Michgan, which was a middle of the pack team in the MAC that year, and lose 38-0. The team named the punter its offensive player of the week, which I thought really dissed the rousing performance of the Bobcat mascot.

Third game was a night kickoff at Toledo. The first half is played in a driving rain storm. Nonetheless, Toledo tosses about a 40-yard pass on its first possession to set up a quick TD. It's 7-0 about two minutes into the game. OU takes its first possession and goes on a long drive, barely eeking out a couple of first downs. They end up with a first and goal somehow. After getting stuffed on three straight running plays, they decide to kick the field goal. But because of the rain, the holder never gets a grip on the ball, the kick gets botched and they come away with nothing. That was OU football in a microcosm.

The highlight of the season came when OU ended its 15-game losing streak by handing Kent State its 12th straight loss. Those crazy OU kids tore down one of the goalposts, though there almost weren't enough people hanging on it to bring it down. Once the band's halftime show was over, the crowd got pretty thin. Two winless MAC teams -- that's how you put asses in the seats.

Stand up and cheer.

10. sportschick

Dude, I helped tear down those goalposts after that game!!!!!!!!!

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

SC, Doc wants to know how the hell your short-ass got up there.

12. sportschick

Tall boys!

Draft saved Draft deleted