1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Joseph Duncan case

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Aug 22, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

s'chick, I won't take it down that "why" road. I'm not setting any tone. I can be civil, and will.

Fudgie, suffice to say I've been around a situation involving the death penalty and I have my firm convictions.

I'll leave it at that, and reiterate that this guy on trial should be fried.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I think that any child being murdered is exactly the same as this case as far as the penalty that should await.

I can't get the image of 11-year-old Carly Brucia getting abducted at the Sarasota car wash on Super Bowl Sunday 2004 out of my head.

Leave the little kids alone, or be tortured.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This was the artist's drawing of Duncan that appeared in papers a week ago. Quite literally, Jesus Christ.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/full_photo.cfm?id=238570

4. Simon_Cowbell

... meets TeenWolf.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Now, see, I wasn't going to mention torture. Slow, deliberate, excruciating torture relative to what a terrified child might imagine before being killed.

But Simon did. So I agree with that, too.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

sc, this thread is naturally going to gravitate to a death penalty or not discussion.

And I, for one, would have no problem being the one to flip the switch, inject the drugs, or whatever on someone who truly doesn't deserve to live.

And someone who deprives a youngster of all of life's great experiences by killing them fits that category. Every breath they draw is one too many.

7. I'm right there with you.
    I made the msitake of reading the first story. I haven't read one since. Just the headlines.
    The crime REALLY bothers me.
    I won't go down the death penalty debate thread, but I agree torutre and death would be suitable punishment for the son of a bitch.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Where they found the boy's body was in my then-paper's coverage area, and I'm still in the coverage area despite changing jobs.

I have great objections (primarily religious) to the government taking life, either in war or through some sort of punishment. This case challenges my religious beliefs to an extent that it makes me a bit ill.

9. cathack

cathack New Member

I've had the misfortune of reading some of the details on the videos and evidence they've presented. It's seriously about as fucked up as it gets. If you do read any of it, make sure you have a puke bag nearby.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm for the death penalty, but I take no delight in it having to be applied, and I sure as hell don't want it turned into a torture session.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Finally read that story.... there is at least one member of law enforcement who should do significant time for negligence in this case.

At least one.

Draft saved Draft deleted