1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Joseph Duncan case

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Aug 22, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The one case (the man killed a family, kidnapped the two youngest children, raped and abused them before killing the boy, and was caught when he took the girl into a Denny's) that actually could make me change my mind about the death penalty has gone to a jury finally.

I haven't been able to read anything about it more than the headlines in our paper. It's too disturbing. I know a lot people who have children struggle with these sorts of cases, but I don't have any and I still can't deal with it.

I don't know that this thread really has a purpose other than me being disturbed.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's also got me, a death penalty opponent, reconsidering it. What a horrible case.

3. I've only heard the basic details. I won't even click on the link because I don't want to know more. Are they deciding whether or not he gets teh death penalty, or if he's guilty/innocent?

Anyway, I think there's no question that some people deserve to die. Should we be making that decision? I don't know.

4. sportschick

Oh, and our local TV station broadcast a report on the girl's testimony without a warning about graphic content on it's 5 p.m. news. It's the last time I'll watch that channel's newscast for a while. I didn't realize it was coming on until they started talking about what the little girl said cause I was in the other room.

5. sportschick

He pleaded guilty. It's whether or not he gets the death penalty.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's only a matter of death penalty vs. life in prison forever. There's no doubt about guilt. He's not even disputing many of the facts. And if anyone deserves to die, it's him. I just struggle making that decision.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The death penalty should be used frequently and publicly.

8. Why?

9. sportschick

Do not turn this into a death penalty debate thread.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Seriously? It was in your first post.

11. sportschick

If it could be civil, sure, but if SixToe's setting the tone with shit like that, it's gonna get stupid and ugly and over the top in ridiculousness.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The Ogden Hi-Fi murders was the first confirmation of my belief that certain killers must be tortured and then executed.

Draft saved Draft deleted