1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jones on Ebert

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Waylon--if someone wants to put in the kind of work you're talking about--which includes having the vision to make unique observations, know who to interview, what to ask, how to craft the details and observations into this kind of story--then that writer probably has the talent Ragu is talking about.

The two aren't separate entities.

2. Yep, the 5 percent is probably quite important. It's lonely at the top. In other professions, that 5 percent probably separates the garden variety biological science lecturer at an Ivy League school from the guy who comes up with a cancer breakthrough.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a lot of writers pecking away probably don't realize just how close they could get to that Ebert piece, or at least how much better their own daily work could get. They write themselves off far too quickly.

I guess it seems like I'm dismissing Jones' work as easy. I'm absolutely not. I just feel like we're all capable of a lot more than we realize.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Afflict the comfortable, comfort the afflicted.

That's the game, unless you're writing for a house organ or you're in PR.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I may take the locks off this later, we'll see. It keeps veering into areas it doesn't need to veer into (other boards, other writers), which is too bad because THE TOPIC itself is plenty good.
    Don't PM me, don't try to start another one. Let it chill for a while. IF I do open it up, try to stay on course please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.