1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jones on Ebert

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Read the piece yesterday after checking out my RSS feed and another blog referenced it.

I don't why I haven't read Esquire, but after reading Ebert and Blago, I'm hooked. The two best write-ups I have read this year. Compelling, astounding, and in the case of Jones and Ebert, the long-form style of writing will never die in my book.

I was a big Siskel and Ebert fan as a kid, went away from it in high school and college, only to come back to it after college.

This piece made me appreciate Roger Ebert in ways I can't describe.

2. And The Jones replies, thus making some writers (coughcoughmecoughcough) inquire as to the availability of employment in the custodial arts.

http://journalism.about.com/od/profiles/a/chrisjones.htm

3. I sure wish Jones would come back to the site.

4. Jones is Canadian!? ... Now I really hate him.

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I may be late to the party, and for some reason I missed the reasons behind the defections to the "other place". Is that when Jones left?

And one of the greatest things I've read was a Jones piece called "The Things That Carried Him" from a couple years back. It had nothing to do with sports. It was Amazing.

6. I don't have any idea. I'm completely oblivious to the office politics around here. Completely. I know there used to be several high-profile magazine/book writers who all seemed to disappear at around the same time.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I believe he left this time without ever saying why in particular (I could be wrong on that), but I'm sure the rantings of the some of the moron crew here who get way too much leash played a large part.

But yeah, the board is definitely better off with them here and him not...

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

If he works for ESPN - and he's still writing for the magazine, isn't he - he's probably not allowed to post, even if he wanted to, because of their bans on employees posting on message boards, etc. I know that affected some others. Although it seemed he might have stopped even before that went into effect.

9. Hustle

Hustle Guest

He was gone from here long before that.

And dre is right on. The problem here starts at the very top with he who mandates from on high once a quarter. I don't envy the moderators, who I feel do their best under some pretty shitty conditions.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Both "high profile" writers you refer to seemed to leave around the time they went to work for ESPN.

One posts regularly on another site and seems to have a strange obsession with what is posted here at SJ. He obviously still follows SJ but does not post.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And, uh, don't be so sure they're all gone.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This piece would have been better if it was no more than 20-25 inches. [/crossthread]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.