1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jones on Ebert

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Read this today and cried I was so moved.
    Just an incredible piece of writing.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Obviously, the little details -- a friend apologizing for eating in front of Ebert and his reply, the pain in trying to convey (through a keyboard) how much he missed Siskel, and numerous other examples -- make this piece shine.

What an incredible read.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Jones is the Albert Pujols of long-form narrative.

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Wow, is all I can say.

Oh, and Jones' reporting and writing are superb.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Ebert receive a Presidential Medal of Freedom or some type of recognition - for a guy who has done what he has done, and seems to be doing it better than ever in the last 10 years - a Pulitzer doesn't seem to be enough.
    I know Bush gave a Medal of Freedom to the WSJ's editorial page editor a few years back, I figure once Ebert stops writing there won't be much of a point to read a movie review anymore. Most of his reviews were better executed than the movies he was writing about.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The strength of this piece was Chris Jones' reporting and power of observation. A piece remarkably free of clever turns of phrase, it puts out the power of the details in a strong narrative in which the writer gets the hell out of the way (and I mean that as a strong compliment).

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

bingo

8. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Speechless. What a great piece.

Fucking cancer. :(

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This (wow, I'm getting so good at that).

That's the best kind of writing in my book. Get massive amounts of great material and let it do the work. Get the hell out of the way.

10. Absolutely. I remember a thread about some Big Ten expansion column (by a writer who has helped me and others very much, so nothing personal) and how a couple clever turns of phrase justified the fact that it was all sizzle and no steak.

Give me narrative, give me something to read, any day of the week.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Except Jones does it without the roids. Fantastic magazine writing; he let an incredible and massive job of reporting do the heavy lifting. Then he used his writing talent to craft it into a near-perfect magazine story. It would have hooked me either way, but I love Ebert. So it was doubly satisfying for me.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I still read Ebert whenever I can. To say he's the best movie reviewer working is the biggest understatement of the century. Brilliant writer and has never been as condescending as so many critics are.

The two critics whose opinions I seem to agree with the most are Ebert and Peter Travers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.