1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jones on Ebert

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is there any doubt Jones is one of the top 3 writers working today? Damn I miss him being around here.

http://j.mp/bfJR3n

2. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Tremendous piece of journalism on Jones' part, and amazing courage and determination on Ebert's party.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Great job, Jonesy.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wow. Tremendous read. Thanks for linking.

Always been a huge fan of Ebert's ... even more so now.

5. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

My God, I'm legitimately sad that I'll never be able to write like that.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Great profile by Jones. And I give Ebert a ton of credit for being so open, both with his words and thoughts and with the photographs.

Two thumbs WAY up for that piece.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ebert's always been one of my idols. I had the honor of meeting him a couple times when I was in college.

Unbelievable writing by Jones. That was the first article that seemed to indicate he is near death, or maybe I read too much into the last part of the story. I hope I did...

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think if he was terminal it would have been mentioned. Could be wrong, but I think the implication is just that Ebert is getting old and is one more bad medical break away from sudden death (but then, aren't we all).

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It's a great piece of writing, and inspirational story. Most people would have given up and sulked with the setbacks Ebert has had. And yeah, Jones is and effin' stud.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Oh, and the piece about going a month without underwear was damn good, too. Not for the weak of stomach.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Doing a profile on another writer, let alone a Pulitzer winner like Ebert, has to be one of the most intimidating things imaginable. Nice job. I still love reading Ebert's reviews, unlike most well known critics he judges films on their own merits and doesn't treat an action movie or a comedy the same way he would a serious drama.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Wonderful, heartbreaking story on a great writer who is an idol to many of us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.