1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Joe Thornton quote - do you use it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just got to the Caps game and there's a lot of buzz about this quote. Seems the team is a bit upset that it was used.

http://deadspin.com/joe-thornton-on-the-proper-explicit-way-to-celebrate-a-1443563064

Not sure of the context, etc., but it today's world? If you say it, it will be used.

2. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

I'm not sure why the team would be upset it got used. If you say it, it's on record. I'm surprised, of all mediums, a newspaper took it. You'd expect someone like Deadspin to use it, or maybe a reporter to reference it on Twitter and not put it on the story. So I'm a little surprised it made the newspaper, though I know nothing of what is typically allowed in Canadian newspapers.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The outlets out here didn't use it. Too bad for them.

It's hilarious. I would be shocked if Thornton cares. Who gives a crap about the team and its PR wing.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Teams use the nickname Redskins and the mascot Chief Wahoo, but are offended by this?

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

One of the greatest quotes ever. I might have used a euphemism or asterisks, but for sure I'd have used it. The guy loudly interrupted somebody else's interview to say it in front of something like 20 reporters, so it's lame that some so-called journalists have come out and said it should have been off the record.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That quote is awesome. You have to use it.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's probably time for an investigation into what exactly is happening in this local TV ad:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My favorite is someone used the word rooster in place of what I'm assuming is cock.

9. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

I'm telling you, ya better be prepared, because when I yank it out, everybody in that audience with the exception of my wife is gonna be runnin' for the exits! — Johnny Upton

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's an all-timer.

Headline: Caps rock out with their cocks out

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Headline: Cock-a-doodle-doo!

Draft saved Draft deleted