1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jobs Bill bounce

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

It does reflect the reality on the ground. More people are Democrats than Republicans. It is inarguable. Why Republicans win elections is turnout. Those December 2010 numbers came right after the tea party wave election where Democrats didn't bother to vote. The Democrats didn't suddenly change their minds and become Republicans. They just didn't vote.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

There's probably some of that, too. Of course, some people here seem to think all Democrats are mindless sheep who will blindly vote for the Messiah.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

And there are others who think that every time Pat Robertson or Pat Buchanan or Michele Bachmann says something stupid, that republicans just stand there and nod our heads.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There is a middle ground where people identify themselves as unaffiliated. The Democrats gained a lot of them in the run-up to the 2008 election, and have lost those gains and then some.

I will admit the Democratic positive spread is wider than I remembered, but 49% is still entirely too high.

Here's every poll you could possibly want:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/30/party-id_n_725948.html

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

If you had included Rush Limbaugh, I'd agree. Hey, if Republicans think those people are morons, it wouldn't hurt for some of them to say so publicly.

Lord knows, plenty of people think Dennis Kucinich is a moron. I guess you could throw in Olbermann, too, but who the hell watches him anymore?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That chart linked goes back to 2008. Notice that in the run-up to the 2008 election, Democrats hit a peak of about 39% in the tracking average, beating even independents by a sizable margin. If the chart went back further, you'd see that the 2008 numbers were the best Democrats have seen in several decades.

Democrats are now at about 30.4%, Republicans have lost some ground too, and independents are at a high.

Obama winning the election in 39% Democrat times was like being a power-hitter in the pre-humidor Coors. Trying to win as a Democratic incumbent in this environment will be like being a power-hitter in Petco.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Then, like you said, Rick, it could come down to the question. The earlier poll had 87 percent taking a side. If pushed by the question, that easily could be the case. It does make me weep for the 13 percent who likely are either fickle enough to change from week to week or too stupid to understand the question.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

All I was interested in doing was providing some statistical context in which to interpret the Reuters/Ipsos poll. I think it's fair to say that it is dramatically biased in the proportion of people who identify with either party. I am not sure that that necessarily would skew inferences drawn from the poll, but I could envision circumstances in which it would.

9. Mizzougrad96

I've never understood how someone could not vote in a gubernatorial, senate, congressional or presidential election.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

That's a question that will take longer time to answer than I'm willing to devote to the subject.

Plus, I'd be delving into tl;dr territory, and I hate doing that.

11. Mizzougrad96

I'd also lean toward calling Limbaugh a pandering blowhard than a moron. Nobody who can make $100 mil a year on the radio is a moron. :)

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Pandering blowhard, moron, sporto, blood, slut, wastoid, dweebie, dickhead ... choose your adjective.

Draft saved Draft deleted