1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jobs Bill bounce

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 15, 2011.

1. If that was the case and those smaller bits helped in any way to lower unemployment - why wasn't that mentioned? It is as if that Joint Session of Congress speech went right down the memory hole.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The answer, as you know, is, "That's politics for you."

Those of us who follow the news relatively closely, with a cynic's eye, know this. A lot of Americans, evidenced by the way that poll numbers sway like the breeze with announcements like that (which was the genesis of this thread - the poll numbers) or $5 million worth of Super PAC attack ads in a state, do not.

Should we hold our officials to the fire a little more over broken promises or inconsistent statements? For sure. "The Daily Show" seems to be the only one doing it. Otherwise, the American attention span is exceedingly short. Politicians know this, and they use it to their advantage.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sorry for the thread jack but does anyone know how I can get my Universal Health Care card replaced? Mine fell out of my wallet this morning and my dog ate it.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

On November 19, 1945, only 7 months into his presidency, Harry S. Truman sent a Presidential message to the United States Congress proposing a new national health care program. In his message, Truman argued that the federal government should play a role in health care, saying "The health of American children, like their education, should be recognized as a definite public responsibility."

www.trumanlibrary.org/anniversaries/healthprogram.htm

and,

www.martinfrost.ws/htmlfiles/aug2006/starwars1.html

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Speaking of the pipeline.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-23/buffett-s-burlington-northern-among-winners-in-obama-rejection-of-pipeline.html

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I hope these trains run on natural gas or steam.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What time do we land on Mars?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hard to believe it's been over eight years since major combat operations have ended in Iraq.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Whereupon the rightwing wingnuts immediately went berserk calling him a pinko socilist.

Draft saved Draft deleted