1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jimmy V speech

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tapintoamerica, Dec 9, 2008.

1. First of all, he wasn't a "really nice guy." He was a vicious little goon, who had his teams investigated, not just by the NCAA, but by the FBI. (Ask some of his Iona guys about him some time, and it got worse at NCSU.) If he'd been a banker, he'd have embezzled. If he'd sold cars, he'd have turned back odometers. I decline, as I said, to be inspired.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good. Jim Valvano was no saint. But whatever Valvano is, Peter Golenbock is much, much worse.

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

How so?

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Golenbock is a lousy writer, didn't get the facts lined up in the book "Personal Fouls" and another book I had the misfortune of attempting to read proved he's not a competent writer.

No, Peter Golenbock didn't commit any NCAA boo-boos. But he's still scum.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sam's take on Golenbock (or Golden Book, as those of us who know him use to call him) is dead on. Bad reporter, bad writer, pompous ass, scum of the earth.

However, as inspirational as Jimmy V's final speech was, Fenian is not off-base either. Jimmy V is one of those who is perceived as far greater in death than he ever was in life.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Martin Luther King, 1968, the Mountaintop speech
    "Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."

He knew it was coming.
    That speech is over 4,000 words, and it appeared to have been delivered without notes. Breathtaking.

7. Goddamn right.
    That's the speech with the "drum major for justice" section, too, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted