1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jimmy V speech

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tapintoamerica, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Thanks for sharing, BYM.

2. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Look, I know all that can be negatively said about Vitale, but sheesh...anyone listening to his monologue on ESPN right now? Just...damn. Great stuff.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

I think the only time you hear the real Dickie V, not the parody he is today, is when he talks about Valvano.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I watched the speech tonight, was all choked up, and my wife came into the room midway through. All of a sudden we're both just glued to the TV. After it was over, we looked at each and just said "I love you." His speech is fucking moving, man.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

We were watching it in the conference room after a college hoops game tonight while we waited for interviews. Everyone was completely focused on it until one of the sports info guys shut it off in mid-speech. Everyone was kind of bummed. He was booed.

I looked at one of the other reporters and said, "Damn, it's still one helluva speech." "One of the best ever," was his response.

We were all a little disappointed to start the interviews.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

He gave a similar speech during a NC State/Duke basketball game that I got to see in person. Nary a dry eye in the house. It was one of those times where I wish I would've drank a little less before the game, so I could've soaked it up more. Still, everyone was sober afterward.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Was that the one in Cameron where he basically crashed the ABC booth? Or the one in Reynolds? The former was a big surprise. I was actually at the latter ... at that time, it wasn't much of a secret that Jimmy was on borrowed time.

8. expendable

Reynolds. Several of my high school friends went to NCSU, and I was visiting that weekend.

9. Sam Mills 51

Yeah. That was moving ... and a good thing the NCSU faithful got to hear that. Given how bad the men's program was at the time, there was no doubt that was going to be the highlight of the day at the old barn.

10. expendable

As I recall, NC State hung around in the game until late that day.

11. Sam Mills 51

Duke didn't blow them out IIRC, but the Devils were never in serious, serious danger.

12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

[​IMG]

A toast to it, always.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted