1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jets-Colts Super Bowl - a tangent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 11, 2011.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

You are forgetting Namath's second biggest stat: Appearances on the Brady Bunch. Never saw Dawson throw a ball to the youngest Brady, not Lamonica, Starr, Harris, Hadl, et all. Throw in the Deacon Jones cameo and Sherwood Schwartz was 2-2 for in football to the hall of fame guest spots.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Big D over Koufax

[​IMG]

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Well Koufax was retired by then. And I forgot about Drysdale. Schwartz would be perfect on baseball, but I vaguely remember a Wes Parker cameo.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

he lost me as soon as he claimed namath had 'four inredible seasons ... and a couplle of pretty good ones after he was injured.
    y
    what revisionist hogwash. he uses the measure of passing yardage, which is asinine. passing yardage is often a false measure influenced by negative factors. and namath's most important numbers in terms of winning and losing games were awful (td-int ration, completion percentage, and OVERAL WON-LOSS RECORD).

don't let lame arguments dressing up phony numbers sway you. give namath tons of credit for super bowl 3, a game in which he played an 'un-namath-like' game in every way -- good percentage, los yards, no tds OR ints). but for too much of his injury-filled career he was more about padding stats and not about winning games, all style, little substance. but he'll always have and be remembered for super bowl 3, ironically a game his team won but in which he didn't have as much to do with as folks think.

but that's qbs, right? too much credit when they win, too much blame when they lose. fortunately for joe, he won the game that mattered most. bravo. but don't let the yardage make you think he was something he wasn't.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Joe Namath probably saved the American Football League, which changed the course of professional football. Most who saw him play in his prime feel he is a HOFer, and, coupled with his impact on the game off the field, that's good enough for me.

And the Namath-Koufax comparison is very apt. Both had four outstanding seasons, and several average-to-below average ones. Koufax quit at 30 and thus preserved his legacy; Namath probably should have.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

just not true. koufax was rembrandt to namath's house painter. i'd love to hear your 'four outstanding' namath seasons. 'cause they don't exist.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

From 1966-69, Joe Namath averaged 3,317 passing yards, and 20 TDs, per seasons. Outstanding seasons by any measure, especially in an era of bump and run coverage, no ability of the OL to hold, and virtually all-outdoor football, half of which was played at Shea Stadium, far from a hospitable environment for a passing QB.

And Juan Marichal was every bit as good as Koufax from 63-66.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is a revisionist myth. No, he did not.

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Namath seems to be about middle of the pack among his AFL peers when it comes to passer rating. I did a very quick, and unscientific look back at career passing ratins.

Lamonica (72.9), Dawson (82.6), Bob Griese (77.1) and John Hadl (67.4) were better. Namath (65.5) was better than Babe Parilli (59.6), George Blanda (60.6 for his career, 62.5 in his Oilers years), Frank Tripucka (52.2), Steve Tensi (59.0) and Jack Kemp (57.3).

Other QBs started in the AFL, but I included only QBs who started on AFL teams for at least a few years. Griese came in at the end of the AFL era and had his best years after Namath was done.

So, all-in-all, Namath was above-average among his AFL peers statistically and he had the one big, shinning moment.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

NAMATH also averaged 22 INTS those seasons, completed just about 50% of his passes -- under 50 in two of 'em -- and made the playoff twice in 4 four years, the ONLY two times superman joe took 'em to the playoffs. next?!

you can't win any 'namath belongs in the hof' argument by using stats. you lose. case closed. super bowl III and SUPER BOWL III ONLY -- is why he was voted into the hall. and i accept that, based upon historical significance, impact, altering perceptions, whatever.

but when you look at it strictly based upon his REAL impact on games and his REAL production in them, wow, it gets pretty darn ugly.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agreed. When considering Namath you have to factor in his bad knees just like Koufax bad arm.

Namath in '67 was first QB to through for 4000 plus yds.

I don't know the answer but have to imagine that DR Z was his proposer to HOF, which probably was a huge factor.

12. Lamonica, Dawson and Griese are hall of famers.

Draft saved Draft deleted