1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jersey Shore is burning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Gym, tan, evacuate.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Awesome

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Did Situation' hair spray start the fire?

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I think you mean Pauly.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Could be a controlled burn.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Well it didn't hit during the height of tourist season. "Stronger than the Storm!!!!!"

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I feel really bad for loving this.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fire is under control, although they'll be on scene through the night and tomorrow:
    http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/09/seaside_park_boardwalk_fire_declared_under_control.html#incart_flyout_news

Forty to 50 businesses destroyed and 500 firefighters are on the scene. Reading some of the accounts almost sounds like an urban wildfire -- wind lifting embers and fanning the flames, ripping up sections of boardwalk to make fire breaks, and hoping for thunderstorms and a wind shift this evening to finally get it under control. Another story (not the one linked) said about a quarter mile of a 1-mile long boardwalk, and 20 percent or so of the businesses (some of which hadn't been reopened post-Sandy) were burned. Wild stuff.
    Might not be a coincidence that this happened after Labor Day, but thank God it did. Could have been tragic if it were on a summer day.

10. #stts, am I right?

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Man, I remember walking that boardwalk a few years back on a trip to bring a helicopter back from Lakehurst. There was an open-air sports bar, where I sat with one of my aviation idols, drank a few beers and people watched. It was one of those surreal nights you just don't forget. Of course, this was pre-Sandy, so I don't know if the place was rebuilt.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I don't know what it's like now but back in the 80s and early 90s, it seemed like every other kid from northern New Jersey spent their prom week in Seaside. Plenty of good memories for me.

It's horrible that this happened, but it's the tail end of the season and you'd hope that these folks who got burned out have the insurance to cover rebuilding.

Draft saved Draft deleted