1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jerry Lewis Telethon will be no more

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Oct 7, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I know WPIX in NY shows it, and am pretty sure it's an extended period of time.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'm with Mystery, it is indeed an end of an era when a national telethon at the level that MDA has was genuine and a major event.

Here at home, we still have the Variety Club telethon that runs from Saturday night into Sunday night until 6pm on the ABC affiliate.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This is too bad, but Jerry should've been grooming a successor all along.

Guess Dave Letterman and Joan Rivers and Conan and Kim Jong-III got tired of waiting.

4. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

My thoughts exactly. It seemed like, during the couple of moments I tuned in while running the channels this year, that Jerry was being a lot more nostalgic than he usually is. So you knew something had to be up ... except that I thought that the six-hour mini-telethon would only be done in the year following Jerry's passing as a "one last time" memorial hosted by someone like Tom Bergeron before they shut down the telethon for good. As it is, it's got to be less than 50-50 at this point that they're going to have it in 2012 (after doing the six-hour thing in 2011).

And, from what I understand, they have solved at least a few of the MD diseases.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good. I know his intentions were good, but this act was tired 20+ years ago.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not only that. I think people began to wonder why a cure hasn't been discovered. But there's more money in sickness.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

We have dual logs on Christmas Morning here in SoCal -- KCAL 9 has the traditional one, and KTLA has a one with augmented by Christmas tunes.

8. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

59 years is a long time. You are totally right about the Tom Bergeron tribute for the 60th anniversary!

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Jerry is 84. That makes you nostalgic and feeling that end is getting near regardless of the telethon status.

Draft saved Draft deleted