1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The jerks down the block

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Circus, Feb 3, 2009.

?

What do I do?

1. Confront the neighbors

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. Tow the bastard

29 vote(s)
    82.9%
  3. Shit on his hood

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Re: The assholes down the block

I misread the original post. For some reason I thought it was a visitor who perhaps parked in the wrong spot by mistake. But others are correct: people are crazy and for that reason alone, purposely irritating your neighbors isn't recommended.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Re: The assholes down the block

I should clarify. He was a visitor, but he's a regular visitor. He's been in the spot before. Usually I don't care, but this really pissed me off.

Also, most people in our subdivision own (I assume) but we rent from the owner. I guess the HOA would be the place to go, but the fact that they have a towing company's number on the sign at the entrance leads me to believe they'd rather we just go straight to the towers.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, I wouldn't confront the neighbours but once you determine who the guest is visiting just knock on th neighbour's door, say politely, "Please tell your friend who drives the white car that there's visitor parking and that if he/she parks in our spot again, we'll have his/her car towed. OK?"

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Have it towed. And when it gets towed go to the impound lot and put a note on the windshield that says "don't touch my door"

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

out-freaking-standing

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's how I'd go. I used to live in a townhouse, three houses from the end on a long strip, and I had two spaces. Each of my direct neighbors had three people living in them, and I'd constantly not have a parking spot. When I'd get home at 2:30 a.m., I'd be a little pissed, but I knew the people, so I let it slide. The only time it got to me was if I'd just gone grocery shopping and had to carry everything 150 feet or so instead of 12.

When I had a roommate, he parked a couple feet left of his "designated spot" -- we didn't have truly assigned parking, nor were there lines; it was all judgment -- he got a note on his car not to park "in my spot." That neighbor moved before my roommate did, otherwise, we'd have quite the situation.

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

If the guy ever parks in your space again, immediately call the tow company. You'll piss off your neighbor (not to mention the car's owner) because everyone will know who called. But it doesn't sound like that really matters to you. But maybe the note your wife left will be enough that the person won't park there again. Yes, they left an asshole note for you, but so what? If you got across your point about not parking in that space, maybe they'll think twice next time and at least park in another neighbor's spot, so it's no longer your problem. That's kinda selfish, making it someone else's problem like that, but maybe if this visitor pisses off enough other people in your building, something can be done.

but like I said, unless this visitor is a real ass, your note should be enough to keep him/her out of that space. After all, for all that driver knows, you could be crazy and capable of slashing tires, busting windows, etc., and who wants to deal with that when you could park one space over?

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

In my building, we have an indoor garage. Every apartment gets one space. If you have a 2nd car, you must pay for an extra space and if you want a reserved space, you also have to pay. In all the years I've lived here, I've never had trouble finding a space and the garage is not full.

Yet one of my neighbors insists on parking his car in the visitors parking area outside, where residents are not supposed to park and which fills up. Worse, he often parks for days at a time in one of the two spaces reserved for residents only 30 minute parking in front of the building. I know he pays for a 2nd space in the garage, because he has a resident sticker on his car, but he only uses it when the weather is bad. His wife also parks in the visitor lot about 50% of the time. When she parks in the garage, she sometimes parks in someone else's reserved space. I've complained to the building manager a few times, but I don't know if he's done anything, because my asshole neighbors continue to do it.

They are just bad neighbors - he used to smoke in the hallways (it's a non-smoking building), they borrow the building's carts and don't return them - they leave them in the hallway for a few days, they semi-block the fire exit door in the hallway outside their apartment with boxes or bags of trash until they can be bothered to take them to the trash room and more. In the past, when confronted, they've tried to make it into a racial issue, which it's not. They're just assholes.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd contact the landlord, and let him know. At least, you'll have an official witness in case things break down from there.

I said this on another neighbor/parking thread months ago, but I'll tell the story again for those who missed it. Years ago, I lived in a townhouse complex in which the only reserved parking were for some handicapped people. Every other spot was up for grabs, first come, first serve.

One of my neighbors insisted that two of the spots were for him and his live-in girlfriend. Whenver anyone would park there, they would try to order them to move. The first time they asked me, I refused. They threated to go to the complex management. I told them to go right ahead.

The complex manager later told me that they came into her office yelling and screaming about me. The manager pretty much laughed them out of the office. I continued to park there when the spots were available. They even wrote the 'Don't park in my spot!" note on my windshield.

After that, I got every other neighbor to park their car in those two spots whenever they could. They tried to yell at the others, but we all told them to go 'F' themselves.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I think the leaving a note stuff is pansy shit. Have a talk with the person, face to face. Appeal to good sense and common decency, if applicable.

"Be nice -- until it's time to not be nice."

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I do hope you'll let us know the progress of the story... :)

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That was you? Bastard@!

Draft saved Draft deleted