1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jay Glazer dilemma

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 11, 2013.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He could have done it honestly. That would help viewers understand it better.

Allowing Incognito to mislead people with full knowledge that he is misleading people and not doing a thing to correct it did not help viewers' understanding of the story. It hurt their understanding of the story.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

OK, we can all play intrepid reporter and find fault the Incognito interview (which, by the way, an intrepid reporter would not be able to get) but I think it's disingenuous for anyone to say that we didn't gain insight into the story from the interview. Or, worse, that Fox shouldn't have aired it.

Even if some of the insight we gained is based on something we didn't like about the interview (for example, misrepresentation of the "kill your whole family" texts), the fact that it was misrepresented tells you something about the interviewee (He's trying to be slick!) and advances the story line.

And it's not like traditional journalists never provide a forum in which people alleged to have done something wrong are portrayed from their point of view. Happens all the time. Look at the back and forth between the A-Rod and MLB camps the past couple months.

News stories rarely come out in a neat little package with a bow wrapped around them. They evolve. Often in a lurching, less-than-graceful way.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Completely agree with all of that, cran. I found the interview very informative along the BULLSHIT GOES HERE lines. The way the story is being managed is a big part of the story. It was in the initial reaction of Dolphins management, it was in the players' angry support of Incognito and blame of Martin, and it is here.

I don't think it was honest, which would be my problem with it, but I do know it never would have happened at all without Glazer's positioning in the NFL and MMA worlds.

Funny note, I woke up Sunday morning thinking that it was Schefter who had landed the exclusive and I turned to ESPN and it wasn't happening. Then I thought, Duh, Schefter is the last person Incognito would have sat with. I need to drink coffee earlier.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that's true, too.

But in front of a jury? He's fucked.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. There was no attempt at balance. No attempt at fairness. They acted as public relations hacks for Incognito and passed it off to journalism. Cran, you should know better than to think there is nothing wrong with this.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Glazer defends himself from critics.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/13/jay-glazer-richie-incognito-interview/?eref=sihp

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

More lies about the lack of restrictions. Yawn.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Glazer having trouble keeping his story straight. He initially tweeted that he didn't ask about the golf club because it wasn't part of this story. Now he says he did ask about it but Incognito cited a gag order.

I'm reminded of the saying "the only story you don't have to remember is the truth."

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Has Jay Glazer rung in yet on Ray Rice?

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

He said yesterday that he thought Rice's career was over and was campaigning for him to be banned on twitter as soon as he saw the video.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

8:58 a.m. Monday:

https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/508977804000907264

Draft saved Draft deleted