1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jay Glazer dilemma

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 11, 2013.

1. vicd

vicd Active Member

From Jay Glazer's twitter
    @JayGlazer 23h
    For all asking about golf course incident that's a different story to cover that has nothing to do w Martin. Separate scoop to get

He also said:
    Biz partner?!? Huh??? He's no biz partner of mine. That's the dumbest thing I've read by far

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Nothing to do with Martin.
    Everything to do with Incognito and his history of doing stupid shit.
    So, Richie Rich Angel Guy, how much did you pay her to shut up?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Martin story is so much more timely than the gold club incident. That's not to say the golf club incident isn't important, but you're talking about something that happened over a year ago, compared with something that just happened.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Right. It is old. It is not the focal point. Just another very big brick in the "guy is a lifetime, incorrigible knucklehead" wall.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Right. And Glazer mentioned it as such.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not prominently enough, but that's no surprise from Glazer.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No question.

But Moddy asked if it came up. It came up.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My biggest issue with the whole thing was when Glazer qualified it before the first part aired on the pre-game show where he said he had known or been close with Incognito for five years and that he had a major problem with some of the things being said about the guy.

That's the same thing a lot of people have said about Incognito, but it's one thing for a teammate to say it, and another for a journalist to say it.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Cranberry, this is EXACTLY what I wanted to say. When I was 25 and just starting, I used to think everyone had to be a journalist like your Ethics 101 class demanded it. Now, I understand how everyone is different. Just like on a good team, there are different roles for different people.

Jay Glazer's job is to break news. He does it. His relationship with these players may not make everyone comfortable, but at least he's honest enough to declare it and let others make their own judgement.

People who declare, "My work is more important" or "That person's work is not good enough" -- get over yourselves. People can make their own choices.

Also, I agree with whoever wrote Fox should have aired more of it, although the panel discussion was quite good.

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Glazer is given different access than most reporters, too. When he shows up at Vikings training camp in this town, for example, he gets to go to areas that are off limits to others with press credentials. He roams the sidelines (usually wearing ultra-tight T-shirts and camo shorts) with the GM and coaches, while the rest of the pack watches from the end zones. He gets to talk to coaches and players on the field while everyone else waits in a designated area to grab players coming off the field. The handshakes and slaps on the back make him appear to be more celebrity than reporter.

Sure, he has the relationships to help him do his job well for Fox, but the NFL opens doors for him that it doesn't necessarily open for others.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Two words. Rights holder. Network guys getting inside the ropes for NFL coverage dates back to my rookie days on the beat in the 1980s and I'm sure long before that. Yes, Glazer has personal relationships with players. But it's Fox's relationship with the NFL that drives his journalism, if that's what it is.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's what I was wondering. Is he getting the access because he works for FOX, a rights holder, or is he getting even better access than other reporters who work for rights holders?

Draft saved Draft deleted