1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jay Glazer dilemma

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you listed the most prominent national NFL reporters at the big websites or networks, not counting the ones who work for NFL.com or NFL Network, almost all of them have something that is a pretty glaring conflict of interest. I'm not talking about newspaper guys.

Glazer's are the most well-known, in part because he freely admits to them. Schefter and Mort don't. There are countless examples of other guys...

Does it change how they report things? I think it does and I think it's obvious.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is an excellent point. Should Fox have turned down the Incognito interview? I think anyone who says yes is living in Dreamland.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The texts aren't that valuable when FOX refuses to actually show them, and pretends an internet meme photo Martin forwarded is a death threat.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

What Jay Glazer does on Fox (or any broadcasters who works for a rights holder) has nothing to do with journalism. The feigned naivete by people like Zirin gets silly after a while.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/28/sports/football/28glazer.html?ref=sports&_r=0

--

Glazer’s football content — news and video — accounted for 15.8 million visitors on FoxSports.com last season. Ed Goren, the president of Fox Sports, said he was not concerned about potential conflicts of interest arising from Glazer’s overlapping careers.

“Jay knows what his primary business is, and it’s the business of journalism,” Goren said. “If there’s an issue, he’s going to report it, whether it’s about a friend or someone he doesn’t know.”

Goren described Glazer’s M.M.A. business as a “part-time job” that does not impede his reporting.

Greg Aiello, a spokesman for the N.F.L., said, “Jay is not employed by the N.F.L. and Fox is comfortable with the arrangement.”

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Glazer interview inches the pile forward a tad. Now we wait for the Martin side.
    Glazer on Dan Patrick today mentioned that full interview would be shown today
    on Fox 1 , wherever and whenever that is.

If texts do exist it makes it that much harder for the Martin camp to through Incognito
    under the bus.

A bombshell text would be one from Ireland to Incognito telling him
    to toughen Martin up. May very well exist and be Incognito's get out of
    jail free card.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Also, I find humorous a debate of Glazer's ethics on a site where piracy of digital music has been openly discussed.
    But the concern troll needs his breakfast, so do throw him some corn meal.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

About 97.4 percent of people who use the word "dilemma" believe it is a synonym for "problem."

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It wasn't odd at all. The NFL uses the site to push the story it wants out there. It was a blatant attempt to manipulate public perception that relied heavily on people being lazy and stupid, so it probably worked.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm part of the 2.6 percent.

By "dilemma," I meant, "Does it matter that Jay Glazer has conflicts of interest when the ultimate result is that he ferrets out information that fans care about?"

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Cool story, Dr.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sure, Ed Goren would like the Fox audience to think of Jay Glazer as a journalist. Hell, Goren hired him to play the role of journalist on the Fox football broadcast. The question is why would anyone would blindly accept the word of the vice chairman of Fox sports media group as to who is or isn't a journalist?

Draft saved Draft deleted