1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Islamic State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Let's face it, this is the new war.

Apparently, ISIS (now just Islamic State) has a 5-year plan to reshape the map. From Spain to the edge of China and down into the heart of Africa. (But no Otisburg.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2674736/ISIS-militants-declare-formation-caliphate-Syria-Iraq-demand-Muslims-world-swear-allegiance.html

[​IMG]

And to think we trained ISIS in Jordan to fight al-Assad in Syria.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

#AmessagefromISIStoUS

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Their name for the land that was formerly Israel is appropriate.

4. YankeeFan

[​IMG]

If we just give them this, they'll probably be content.

I think we have a clear pathway to a negotiated settlement.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Songbird

I don't think paella would taste all that great in Andalus.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They're going to have a fun time subduing the Balkans. And wouldn't it be ironic if Israel ends up saving the day.

7. Songbird

I'd pay War.guv to watch ISIS v. Blackwater Academi battle.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Isn't the andalus where paella goes after it's been digested?

9. YankeeFan

At the core of Obama’s thinking is that American military involvement cannot be the primary instrument to achieve the new equilibrium that the region so desperately needs. And yet thoughts of a pacific equilibrium are far from anyone’s mind in the real, existing Middle East. In the 2012 campaign, Obama spoke not only of killing Osama bin Laden; he also said that Al Qaeda had been “decimated.” I pointed out that the flag of Al Qaeda is now flying in Falluja, in Iraq, and among various rebel factions in Syria; Al Qaeda has asserted a presence in parts of Africa, too.

“The analogy we use around here sometimes, and I think is accurate, is if a jayvee team puts on Lakers uniforms that doesn’t make them Kobe Bryant,” Obama said, resorting to an uncharacteristically flip analogy. “I think there is a distinction between the capacity and reach of a bin Laden and a network that is actively planning major terrorist plots against the homeland versus jihadists who are engaged in various local power struggles and disputes, often sectarian.

“Let’s just keep in mind, Falluja is a profoundly conservative Sunni city in a country that, independent of anything we do, is deeply divided along sectarian lines. And how we think about terrorism has to be defined and specific enough that it doesn’t lead us to think that any horrible actions that take place around the world that are motivated in part by an extremist Islamic ideology are a direct threat to us or something that we have to wade into.”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/01/27/going-the-distance-2?currentPage=all

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side. They'll ban futbol in Spain and make it easier to win the Champions League.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Helpful suggestion for Obama: Quit talking about basketball in public. Like, at all, ever.

That is all -- carry on.

12. YankeeFan

It has become clear that ISIL is recruiting fighters in Western countries, training them to fight its battles in the Middle East and possibly returning them to European and American cities to attack us in our backyard. We simply cannot allow this to happen.

It takes an army to defeat an army, and I believe that we either confront ISIL now or we will be forced to deal with an even stronger enemy in the future. Inaction is no longer an option.

http://1.usa.gov/1uw7etG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.