1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The iPad

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by playthrough, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

My wife got me one for Father's Day/Birthday.

As expected it is definitely not something I will do any work on but great as a media viewer. I am a pretty lame gamer so the only app I have downloaded is Scrabble.

In Canada the iBook store is not up yet which is what I am really looking forward to.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I love my iPhone, but that's because it's small and I can basically have it on my person at all times. I dint think I could carry around an ipad. So, in that sense, it's just a really light laptop. I have a laptop.

It seems the only real use, to me, would be for traveling. If you are gonna be stuck in one place (plane, train, etc.) for a long time the portability wouldn't be an issue.

That scorekeeping thing sounds great. Would have been awesome for my days covering prep football. Plus you could maybe upload play by play to the web, so there'd be live GameCasts for prep games. Could be a big deal for some newspapers' web sites.

3. House

House Member

CoverItLive.com has an iPhone app so maybe an iPad app would come along soon. I'm not in sports anymore, but I could see where this would be a handy little device to carry into the courthouse for typing in arraignments or any other records I want to take notes from rather than jotting them down with pen. I'd probably still rely on pen and paper for anything in the actual courtroom like a trial.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Bumping this up because according to Gizmodo, the iPad is coming to Verizon.

iPhone next?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've seen a few writers using iPads in the pressbox this season. It's made me lust for consider getting an iPad for work. My Powerbook G4 doesn't have many miles left on it, even though I baby it.

6. maberger

maberger Member

anyone here with experience with MS Office apps on the ipad -- like DocsToGo or anything like that? any recommendations?

apps i am using the hell out of for work right now: dropbox and evernote
    apps that are great for non-work: standalone's crosswords (and this thing would be even bettre if i knew how to do cryptics). NPR's app is awesome too; easy to get lost in the music section

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one still using a PowerBook G4. Mine's still going, though after using my wife's new MacBook Pro I find myself wishing it would quit going.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm surrounded by Apple stuff -- using my Macbook, iPhone is next to me, iPod is across the room in my Bose system, etc. -- but the iPad is the one thing that never quite got me interested enough to buy one.

However, I can't wait to see what they look like a few years from now.

Draft saved Draft deleted