1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The iPad

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by playthrough, Jun 15, 2010.

1. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

One other thing: The iScore app for baseball is fan-freaking-tastic. The concept: It keeps a baseball scorebook on the iPad so you don't need a pencil and scorecard. I went into my first game with it intending to keep a pen-and-paper backup, and by the second inning I crumpled up the scorecard and went exclusively with the app. It's $10, but if you can get away with expensing it to your shop, I highly recommend it, and I hope they introduce a football version by August.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So it adds all the stuff up for you as the game goes on? That sounds very cool.

3. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Is that an iPad-only app?

It seems very likely I'll have a Touch by the time football season rolls around (my iPod is on its last legs), and (assuming they come up with a football app) I'd love to be able to take stats that way for high school football games.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

It works on the Iphone and Ipod Touch, as well. I've used both the IScore baseball and basketball programs for two years. They are well worth the 10 bucks.

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Tino: There, indeed, are versions for baseball and basketball for the iPhone/Touch. For the iPad, it's baseball only (so far -- iPad hasn't been around for a basketball season yet).

Playthrough: It does that and more. Compiles the box score and, with a button-push, emails it wherever you need it (to your shop's sports desk when you're on the road). Another button push gives you the "scorebook" view, which is exactly what it sounds like. And you can sync your Twitter account to "Twittercast" the play-by-play of your game (I'm sure the anti-blogging NCAA would frown upon that, but it'd be great for prep/American Legion games).

6. CR19

CR19 Member

If we're talking about baseball scoring apps, I have one question to anyone using it. During the summer, I cover a good amount of teams, ranging from high school ball to little league. I believe you have to add a team to score a game. How do you put in all of the names in time for the game? If I could figure that out, I would love to use these types of apps.

7. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

THAT is fricking cool.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I just looked at that for my touch. It's $9.99 for either. Since I don't really cover them anymore, it doesn't make sense, but if I did -- it looks incredible.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The nice part about buying in early two years ago was that before ESPN slapped their name on them, they were $3.99.

Once Faster Than Monkeys (the software company producing IScore) understood how unique and lucrative these apps could be, it went up to 10 bucks.

I don't think a football or basketball app will ever be as mainstream as baseball is, though. People score baseball games they attend at every level. You have to to a serious hoops or football fan, a reporter or a statkeeper to need a football and basketball app.

I think that's why ESPN only put their name on the baseball app...so far.

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

As far as Facebook, here is how I do it on my iPhone:
    1. Open Facebook app.
    2. Click on tic-tac-toe board in the top corner.
    3. Click on photos.
    4. Click on the album you want, or the plus sign to create a new one.
    5. Click on the camera in the top right-hand corner. It will come up and ask you if you want to take a new photo or choose from your library.

11. smithsonryan

smithsonryan New Member

I bought the 64GB, 3G. I realized on the first day I probably could have gotten away with no 3G and 16GB. Here is why: You can use the YouTube app to watch most movies you wanna see anyway, and if not, use the Netflix app. You don't need all your music on there. Apps takem up very little space copared to video. Typing isn't as bad as people make it out to be, but no Facebook app yet, which is weird.

12. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

I was at a baseball showcase this weekend and a friend was keeping score for his team with the baseball app on the Ipad. It was outstanding. BIG PROBLEM it can't stay out in the direct sun for very long at all before needing some shade. The screen shuts down.

Draft saved Draft deleted