1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The iPad

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by playthrough, Jun 15, 2010.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think we're just wondering if there is really anything beyond the "Hey! Cool!" aspect of it.

Wanting one? OK. But I buy about 1/10,000 of the things I want.

Needing one? That's the question.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've never wanted an iPhone or a Crackberry or the like because reading anything more than a text message on one of those tiny screens has always sounded awful to me. Which I know probably makes me sound like a fossil. So the iPad has appeal.

3. CR19

CR19 Member

Yeah. The iPhone definitely isn't easy to read on. I think if you read a lot of stuff online, it's a great buy. The iBooks app didn't have much to offer when I saw it, but that may change over time. I guess It depends on what you do with it.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You need a man purse if you get an I Pad.

5. CR19

CR19 Member

Not just man purses. You can also get these cases for an iPad. Imagine walking around while carrying one of these.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Stop asking questions and consume.

8. I don't carry around my iPad. It's sort of a good bedtime reading device and couch reading device.

Had mine for about a month. I'm finding its limitations (uh, where are the files stored? how do I upload a photo to facebook? simple sh*t).

Still, it is amazing, seriously. Very well done gadget.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's good stuff, heyabbott.

10. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

The wife just bought a laptop.

It's not an iPad.

We'll survive.

I'm about five years behind the times (just subscribed to high-def television for the first time), so maybe in 2015 I'll report back on how much I love my iPhone22.

11. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I've found the Kindle app to be significantly superior to iBooks, at least for now. That may change down the road once the iBooks inventory catches up with Kindle's.

In fact, that's what drew me to the iPad over the Kindle reader in the first place -- you can read Kindle's books (via the app) on an iPad, but you can't play with any iPad apps on a Kindle.

12. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I was blown away by the crispness of the iPad screen. Noticeably better than the iPod Touch I checked out after. That said, typing on the iPad screen was just ... awkward. You have to have your fingers hover over the screen, which is really tough if you can't feel home keys (unless you're a two-finger typist like Bill Simmons). At least with something hand-held like the Touch, you can plow through with your thumbs.

After messing around with the iPad in an Apple store over the weekend, my suspicions were confirmed: For consuming content, it's freaking awesome. But for creating content, I'm not so sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted