1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The iPad

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by playthrough, Jun 15, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So, anyone got one yet? Planning on getting one? The wife and I spent the weekend in NYC and made two trips to the Apple Store to drool over them. I'm not one to get too bowled over by such things but it was pretty damn impressive. Then again we don't have smartphones; maybe we're easily awed.

I have a feeling we'll have one sooner than later but I'm lost as to how fancy to go (16/32/64 GB; 3G connectivity?).

I'm sure some of the SportsJournalists.com techies already have one. Please inform!

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The idea of your wife with an iPad is about the best thing I've ever heard. :D

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Dude who sits by me in one of my classes has one. He let me mess around with it the other day. Very smooth connection to wireless at school and easy to use. The touch screen stuff would bother me, I would be wiping my prints off every hour, but aside from that it is pretty cool.

4. maberger

maberger Member

i bought the 16g WIFI version when it came out and i love it. battery life is terrific. video is great, whether you purchase a movie from Itunes or Netflix.

i've used it on planes and around various cities and the worst i could say is it takes a couple minutes to recognize new wifi networks (say, at a hotel restaurant), but it's been great up in the air.

i can see where some might criticize the touchscreen QWERTY keyboard, but it's fine for emails. i havent yet downloaded the word processing app (i'm still PC and not MAC in real life, so i've been waiting for the MS office apps for ipad). Not a video game player (tho reviews are strong for that), but i defy anyone in our business to not fall in love with the scrabble, boggle, and crosswords apps. i think the book reading ability is way superior to kindle (color, for one thing), and free book apps for ipad are way better than loading up free books through the kindle store.

an annoying issue for now: can't create separate photo folders on the ipad itself ("vacation," "home," "wedding," or whatever), but must do so in folder on your PC and then import via USB.

i honestly could see ditching my iphone and its data plan for a cheap phone and carrying the ipad all the time

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Love my iPad. Picked it up a month ago for its ereader capabilities and am eagerly awaiting the release of the forthcoming SI app. Dig the WSJ, NY Times and USA Today e-editions. The demo video of it has me excited about how it could kick-start a way to help toss a lifeline to our industry.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's a big part of it for my wife, she's in the magazine biz and has heard plenty about how the iPad might be a game-changer. Maybe, maybe not, but if it is she wants to know her way around one now.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am getting one soon. I travel for work and have a Blackberry so do not need 3G capabilities. I played with it at the Apple store and I can see it easily replacing our laptop for surfing the net at home.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Co-worker has the 64 GB monster.

Works well with office wireless, and the touch functions/keyboard are very responsive. Impressive for sure, but I'll wait for the second generation version that (hopefully) includes a USB port, multi-tasking and additional memory.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is it just a bigger I Touch? Why have it over an I Touch?

How much shit you gotta carry around these days? A cell phone. an iPad. Do you still need a briefcase (I work from home)?

Why would a guy like me want one of these? Any reason? I don't travel hardly at all. I can get e-mail away from my computer and check out Nats scores and SJ, too. My WalkMan contains about 2,000 of my favorite songs. I prefer books to "reader-style" books.

10. pffft

pffft Member

Whoa, down boy. If you don't want one, that's fine.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just asking there, sir. down yourself. Does I needs one? A simple question.

Not attacking you toy lovers in any way.

12. CR19

CR19 Member

I think it's an enlarged iPhone with several perks. You can find everything that's on the iPad on the iPhone, although it's a little easier to read. I'd rather spend the money on a new iPhone. Can't blame anyone who buys an iPad, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted