1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The invasion of the sports section

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TyWebb, Jun 28, 2007.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago, we ran one of the stories about the Duke lacrosse prosecutor being disbarred. Not really sports, but I let it slide.

A few days ago, we ran the story about Benoit, the pro wrestler, killing himself, his wife and his kid. Again, not really sports, but again I let it slide.

In tomorrow's issue, we will have another story about Benoit PLUS a story about Kobayashi (the competitve eater) coming down with arthritic jaw. Neither, in my opinion, are sports stories, but I've never even considered NASCAR a sport either.

Where do we draw the line?

2. I agree with what you're saying, but unfortunately, a lot of stuff gets put in our section because where else would it go?
    Our paper has been known to have dog show coverage in sports. I don't like it, but I don't know where else you would put it.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Features.

Features.

And features.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

News took the Nifong stuff and the Benoit, although we had to argue to get them to take the Benoit story.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

had the same argument, but we lost.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Arthritic jaw? WTF?

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I think Paris has the same problem, but for a different reason.

8. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Different reason? I thought it was from eating a lot of hot dogs.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

This was good.

This was GREAT.

10. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I managed to block all of the aforementioned stories from the Sports section.

We stopped running Duke lacrosse stuff once the players were found innocent. And we stuck the Benoit stuff on News, despite it being all over the AP Sports budget, for some reason.

As for Kobayashi, everybody basically washed their hands of this story, and I don't think we ever ran it anywhere in the paper.

We did have a recent dog show, and they ran the story in News and were going to make us run a half-page of agate in Sports, but then that fell through, so we escaped unscathed.

So, at last count, that's ... Sports 4, Rest of the Paper 0.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

My way of figuring things out is if there is competition and a winner. It's sort of a loose thing, though, and you can change things based off what else is going on in the sports world.

12. We had Duke lax start out in sports, eventually find a home in news, where it finally came to rest.

Benoit story has been in sports, where I think it belongs despite the obvious non-sport nature of the WWE.

Hot-dog boy was a brief in news.

Draft saved Draft deleted