1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Interview Suit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I understand, Mod. I wear my old man's favorite tie. Interviews, weddings, funerals. I inherited a Vuitton elsewhere that costs more than my shoes and a lifetime of dry cleaning, but I'm just not feeling it with that one. Go with the gut.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You always want to have a light colored shirt. You don't want to make the person you are meeting with think you just came from a wake.

If you have some sort of design on the shirt and a design on the tie, make sure you know what you are doing. Your shirt and tie patterns are dependent on your suit pattern.If your suit is a solid, then you can get flashier with the shirt and tie. If the suit has a pin strip, make sure you arrange your stripes accordingly.

You can do stripes with stripes, you just have to do it right. For example: Don't couple a black suit with a white pinstripe with a black shirt with the same sized white pin stripe, you will look like Al Capone. Shirts and suits can have the same sized pin stripe - but the colors of stripe should be different (I hope that makes sense). More importantly, your tie stripe size should be opposite of your shirt or suit. If your shirt has a small pin stripe, your tie needs a big stripes or vice versa.

And I'm glad you decided not to wear the red shoes.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Or just wear a white or blue shirt with a dark jacket. :)

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just wanted to add good luck, Moddy. If you feel good about yourself in the outfit, go for it.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I wore the same suit for every interview I had from 1995-2004. By the time I had my last interview, I had gained weight. My suit was so tight, I think I got the job on sex appeal.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, I do.

I'd feel a lot better if I was 6-4. If I weighed 170. If I had my full head of hair. If I was 25 years younger.
    But I gots to go with what I got so I'll make it happen with that.

I got a check today that I was waiting on FOREVER. This freelance junk has its pitfalls.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Wore a black cashmere J Crew sport coat on my Jeopardy appearances. Even Trebek complimented me on my coat, saying "Very nice coat, I hope you win enough to pay for it..."

So good karma on the black cashmere, Moddy.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Are you not wearing pants?

If not with the striped shirt go with crisp white boxers and over the calf black socks to highlight the black shoes.

9. Moderator1

You overlook the part that said the tie picks up some of the shirt, pants and jacket?
    My boxers are black, too.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

First of all, good luck, altho you surely don't need it.

As for the clothes, you want them to notice you, not your clothes. You don't want to look like you thought about it or asked for advice from a message board. On the other hand, you don't want to suggest you lack the creativity or confidence to go beyond black/grey/white.

So I would err on the side of conservatism, with some subtle sizzle in the tie (to show you've got a dark side).

And don't wear an earring.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Don't forget to lift your shirt at some point and show them your THUG tattoo across your sternum. I'm sure that'll seal the deal if nothing else. :)

12. Moderator1

Yeah, I'm taking the ear ring out.

It was easier years ago when I had one suit, one nice shirt and one tie. It was either that or nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted