1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Internet dating world is a cesspool

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 15, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If YGBFKM forgets to log out from it, maybe you'll know.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Except on JDate.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

The whole things a cesspool. everyone around me is either divorced with three kids and lives in a trailer or 19 years old and a complete dumbass. I almost wish I lived in a society with arrainged marriage at this point.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The college route always works it seems.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The New Yorker had a story about Internet dating sites a few months ago. At some point, it had something like this line, "Dating sites are now the third-most common way people meet. First is through friends, and second is at churches, bars, or work."

Something like that where it was like, "Um, where the hell else would people meet?"

Never had to go the Internet route, thank goodness. Met the little lady in college. From the young people I meet now, it seems almost like the only way to go. Almost as if dating your real-life acquaintances is incestuous to them. I think they like to really compartmentalize their social lives. Dating is in one box, clearly marked, "dating." Professional and social relationships are in another, also clearly delineated. No confusion, then, about that guy in the next cubicle over.

6. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

That's true. I'm just glad I came out STD free. I listen to Love Line, there's some scary stuff out there!

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I just broke up with my college lady of four years. I'm fucked, I guess...

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I've been on OkCupid for about two years - I use it somewhat passively, poking around on it every couple of days. I've had a few relationships off of it, and to echo some other comments, I didn't fight the caliber of people I met that different from the people I had met via conventional dating (friends of friends, college classmates, etc.).

I think the main difference is that the computer algorithm used can sometimes match you somewhat superficially. For example, I like kids, I would like to have kids some day, and I have the journalism / writing / English background. As a result, I match highly with pretty much every teacher in the known universe, it seems.

9. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Online dating worked well for a couple of my friends. Both were divorced, almost immediately signed up, and were seeing someone new within a month. One got married and they now have 2 kids and seem pretty happy. The other swears he will never get married again, but is still seeing the first woman that he met online almost 10 years ago. Both encouraged me to try it but I just don’t have any interest. It worked great for them, but my sense is that both of them needed to have someone in their life, and they both went out and found a woman that needed someone in her life.

I’ve never been married, always lived alone, and there are a lot of advantages to that. While I would welcome a meaningful relationship with the right woman, I’m pretty comfortable in my own skin at this point in my life. I feel like the majority of online daters are just looking for someone (in some cases anyone) to fill a void. My aversion to online dating lies in the suspicion that I would end up in a relationship rooted on the fear of being alone, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I just want to find a down to earth girl that lets me go huntin’, fishin’, four-wheelin’ & raisin’ hell. Keystone Light rocks!

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Outing Alert: Quiet Man is ...

[​IMG]

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Sounds like the sequel to the Pina Colada song.

12. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Always smooth...

Draft saved Draft deleted