1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Internet dating world is a cesspool

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 15, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I mean, seriously. What the fuck?

A little background: My cousin convinced me to join Match.com for a little while, just to cast a wide net in my search for the future ex-Mrs. C. She said she had success with it, so I figured, what the hell. That was a few weeks ago.

Fast forward, and the only people who I've had substantial contact with are 1) People I can only assume are Russian hookers, 2) People intent on carrying all of their baggage through their entire lives, 3) Married women, and 4) Just plain liars (and not just about appearance).

Maybe I'm naive, but I didn't think there would be this level of depravity in Internet dating. Fuck this shit.

Discuss.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I checked out match.com not long after my divorce. When the first person that came up in my search was my ex-wife, I quickly decided Internet dating was not for me.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I got contacted by a guy two days ago. His profile was weird, to say the least, but like in a charming way. We've exchanged two e-mails. his last was something about how there are 40,000 more women in Atlanta than men, second to NYC, which is a bonus for him.

Uh, yeah, good luck with that.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Things I love about being married:

1) Not having to dance at weddings/get out there for the garter toss.

2) Not having to ever have dealt with the Internet-based dating world.

3) Being married.

:)

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Know what? So is the real world. I've met crazy and dated (not for long, though) them through friends or just random social interactions. I've also met some great girls who totally captured my heart that way. I've met crazy and quickly moved on from women I met online. And I met some great women who totally captured my heart and became involved in outstanding relationships with them, too. In fact, I started having better luck when I used Match. I've been with the same woman for more than a year now and she's now gone to far more ballgames in that time than she had in the several years past, has watched countless more games than she probably ever thought she'd have to with me, and puts up with my crazy-ass hours and work-a-holic tendencies.

That's not to say there aren't others out there who are crazy. But after a conversation or two, either through email or in person, you can figure it out. You can also get a good sense of who you're talking to just by reading what they have to say and moving on from anything that lacks substance.

6. dieditor

dieditor Member

I met my wife on Match, and that was after several run-ins with people who, as you said, I figured out pretty easily. It felt a lot like fishing or selecting a woman out of a catalog at first, but I realized pretty quickly that the more detailed and honest you are in your profile, the quality of people you meet is dramatically improved. Don't let a bad experience or two sour you on the whole idea.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dude. That's funny as shit. That's also the type of thing that would happen to me if I was ever thrown back into that world.
    I understand there's a Senior Match or Senior eHarmony now?
    Heck with that. My next wife will be a Wal-Mart Queen.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A writer friend of mine got married a couple years ago. During the best man toast, he revealed that they met online which was a detail that clearly only a couple people in the room were supposed to know. Both the bride and groom were mortified.

His wife is hot as hell and they have a couple kids now...

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Shouldn't you wait before trying to find the third ex-Mrs. C? Women can smell the bitterness a mile away and might use you as an example on how Internet dating is a cesspool.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've had two family members meet their wives on Match.com. Both are in happy marriages.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm guessing the age difference is part of it, but I have some friends who have had great success through online dating. Most people I know who are single are on one of the sites. I've been on it for a couple months and it can definitely be frustrating. However, I prefer this to trying to pick up women at bars.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My uncle was on Match within a month of my aunt dying. She had been dying for two years and they were in a marriage of convenience, but eyes still rolled as he was bragging about the women he was meeting. He's in his early 70s.

He was married a year later.

Draft saved Draft deleted