1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Inevitable Mitt Romney Tour Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know. Cheney didn't like him very much. :)

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Seems I'm not the only one who thinks Romney's fighting an uphill battle, and is a poor choice for the Republican Party.

The Republican Party is putting itself in the hands of the economy. With Mitt Romney as the nominee, we will be forced to hope for a deteriorating economy because... the fact is he has made no case for himself against Barack Obama except that he can do a better job on the economy. And let’s be clear — no Republican should hope or appear to be hoping for a deteriorating economy. It’s just that with no other justification for his election other than electability based on the ability to fix the economy, if the economy fixes itself, suddenly there is no justification for Mitt Romney’s electability.

What liberal blogger wrote this? RedState.com, of course!

http://www.redstate.com/erick/2012/02/06/the-sweet-meteor-of-death-2012/

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

But you chose presidents who were ineffective, bad presidents. I think he would be unexciting but effective.

4. LongTimeListener

Romney is just a guy who's very hard to like. I can respect him, I can see what he might do for the country, I just find him impossible to like. If he were my boss, I would spend the entire meeting rolling my eyes.

Obama, I think even his detractors can find something to like personally or see some charisma.

George W. Bush, we've had testimonials from sportswriters here on how pleasant he is face-to-face.

Same thing that killed Gore, really. I know this sounds like the stupid "who would you want to have a beer with" thing, but it's a huge factor.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It wasn't necessarily a judgment on your choice of words, just a more accurate description of how people actually see him.

But he's not that competent at winning elections, that's for sure.

6. TigerVols

Again, with the risk of creating more chirping crickets, I ask, in all honesty, and with no flaming attempted, what do you see he might do for the country? What has he ever said he would do? What plans has he presented?

I mean, building a moon colony is idiotic, but it's at least a plan. I can't recall a concrete proposal of any sort from former Gov. Romney.

7. TigerVols

Of course, Romney would never have a beer with you, me, or anyone, or his soul would burn in hell.

8. LongTimeListener

I don't think it would be a bad thing to have a president who gave at least a passing concern to where our national debt level has gone. And, at the risk of sounding too callous, some of what Obama has done really has been delaying the inevitable (like the $200 billion Homeowner Assistance Program, which was aimed at homeowners who were going to go underwater eventually anyway). Romney having been a successful Republican governor in a heavily Democratic state counts for something, too.

Really if the GOP would soften its stance on the Grover Norquist pledge and consider reverting to the second-lowest tax rates in the nation's history instead of the lowest, I'd probably be voting Republican this time.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Highly unlikely, considering the degree to which these guys are Bought and Paid For.

10. LongTimeListener

Yeah, but Obama would make me drink Bud Light, and I'd rather have water than that drainage.

11. TigerVols

Yet again, no plan. Just more not-Obama.

12. TigerVols

He drinks BL, but at the beer summit his guest drank Blue Moon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.