1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ineptitude of HR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Anonymous135, Sep 1, 2015.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I've recently gone from a company with an HR department to a company without one. As royally fucked as the first company was, it was nice to have someone there to answer questions

Bronco77 likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm stealing that line. Awesome.

At my last job I liked the HR folks a lot, they were very responsive and even were available outside business hours. What they couldn't do, however, was take any of the stink off really bad health care benefits.

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I've gotten a preliminary call from HR for the last three jobs I've been considered for. Most of these conversations were uneventful and consisted of a few basic questions (what appeals to you about the job, how do you think your skills fit in with what we're looking for, and so on). Looking back, though, I have to laugh at one of these pre-interviews because the HR person disclosed the salary for the position -- first time I'd ever been told what the pay would be before receiving an offer. I did go through with the interview thinking the pay might be negotiable, and it was -- but not enough for me to accept the offer.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What do you have to major in to get a job in HR? I'm serious. I know somebody dating one of the HR people at our shop. Talk about a job with no duties, sitting on your ass doing nothing but surfing the web and making ridiculous calls to candidates for job openings. I'd like a do-nothing job like that. What do I need to get a degree in?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They don't call him the most-longest winded poster for nothing, folks.

7. Baron Scicluna

They might have done that to make sure you would be willing to accept a job at that salary if they offered. I've had a few time when they've told me how much the job pays, and asked if I was still willing to go through the process,so that neither my time, nor theirs was wasted. Of course, the pay range was usually quite low.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Did you say no? Or did you ask them if they could divert some of the CEO's salary to your position?

JackReacher likes this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

I did ask if that included overtime pay.

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If they have to deal with you, HR reps earn every penny.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted