1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ineptitude of HR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Anonymous135, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Uh-huh.

Any does HR actually prevent harassment ?

Does it keep EEOC claims from being filed ?

In my experience, it's been the opposite.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's good to have some people administering benefits, though that intended goal is usually undercut by the department's lack of knowledge.

Other than the benefits stuff, though, the only function of HR people is to hire other HR people.

Bronco77 and Lugnuts like this.
  3. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

I don't see your point. You still have to jump through an HR hoop at many places.

4. Lugnuts

Sure.

After the job has already been offered to you by the person with the real authority to hire.

5. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

You don't have that choice if the first step of an interview process is a phone screening.

6. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

I never said things can't happen. Things DO happen, and that's why hiring processes involving phone screenings are typically inept. Doesn't mean it's beyond the realm of being called out.

7. Lugnuts

Your post made me laugh, LTL.

Define "administering" benefits.

What does that mean, exactly ?

Sounds like HR-speak.

"What do you do up in HR, Schemp?"

"Oh I administer benefits."

As far as I can see, HR doesn't procure the benefits (that's the corporate bean-counters and the lawyers). HR typically "hands out" the benefit handouts--which are often produced by the insurance company.

And this I know: If you have a problem or complaint about a health insurance claim being denied, don't ask HR. They can't help. They just administer the benefits.

Bronco77 likes this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, but they distribute and collect your forms and stuff, and they run the information meetings. They can also answer some questions as various needs occur around leave, counseling and such.

There's a little value there. Not a lot.

9. Lugnuts

HR can run some damn fine information meetings, I'll give you that.

And if a matter needs to be escalated to HR ?

HR certainly provides a place for that matter to be escalated to.

I'll give them that.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Instead of calling it HR, they should call it CYA. As in Cover Your Ass. At least that's what the #1 interest of HR at my place.

Lugnuts likes this.
  11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Not necessarily true. We almost always have HR call before an editor or hiring manager calls someone. Sometimes we don't even have much contact before the candidates come in for an in-person interview.

12. SBR

SBR Member

HR is like a long snapper. They generally don't add much value, but a bad one can be apocalyptically bad.

Craig Sagers Tailor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted