1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ineptitude of HR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Anonymous135, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

Had a phone screening today. Here's how it went:

HR woman apologizes for being "late" calling at 12:02 for a noon slot. Asked typical questions about my resume and why I wanted the position, usually prefacing them with something along the lines of "if you were to get the job...".

Six minutes into the call, she says "the responsibilities of this position are actually changing..." and that the hiring manager has already identified someone internal to fill the spot. But she still wanted to "chat" and keep me on file for two freelance-type gigs if I was interested, but neither is substantial enough to relocate. One was a one-day-a-week NFL thing.

Note: This screening was booked last night.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you're going through HR, you're not getting the job.

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I don't think the HR woman was inept at all. If it all went down as stated here, she was able to hold an interview and gather information that she needed to know - even in the circumstance that the job in question had been filled internally. Sounds pretty competent to me...

This is not to say that HR folks everywhere are competent - and in many cases are less useful than an ashtray on a motorcycle. But this woman did her job under "unusual circumstances". She was not inept...

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That's not re: HR. It's about a dishonest company, it seems to me.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I don't get this at all.

6. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Two minutes is not egregious. Although I subscribe to the "five minutes early is on time" school of thought, not everyone does. For a phone call, two minutes is within an acceptable margin of error unless we're talking about military operations.

The OP does have a minor beef about how the call proceeded. The HR person should have been upfront about the position already being filled before asking if the OP would be willing to talk for other potential openings. That part was misplayed, and I can see why the OP was annoyed about it. But as far as dishonest? No, I don't see it.

But LongTimeListener nailed it: If you're going through HR, you're probably not getting the job.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

What is the grievance here? That you lost six minutes of your life?

The position changed, but HR was still interested enough in you to speak to you and to ask if you might consider work for them in the future. This was offputting?

Other options included, but were not limited to, interviewing you and leading you on and standing you up.

HC likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side: at least you were told the position was filled. Many candidates interview and never hear back.

9. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

The screening was booked barely 12 hours beforehand -- not a week in advance.

Either HR was going through the motions or there was embarrassing disconnect with the hiring manager until that next morning.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

One of the toughest realizations of the working world is that nobody even knows why human resources exists at any company anywhere, period.

The sooner that sinks in, the faster you can go about the business of getting job offers.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I don't know. I always figured HR was required to help a company meet all the damn government laws, like EEOC, harassment, etc. You know, to prevent the kind of things that used to make the workplace fun.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Your meeting was at noon. Lots can happen between 8 a.m. and noon.

There's that possibility, too.

Let it go.

Draft saved Draft deleted