1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Industry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Natchez, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and sometimes fish, that calling becomes a whisper.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fishwrapper said it best: If you don't do it, nobody will.

Hey, you go right on believing that you and "most of us" can't stick up for ourselves. That just leaves more for me, dude. And Fishwrapper. ;D

Better take a hard look in the mirror. I'm serious. If you can't negotiate for yourself, that means you don't believe in yourself. So why should an employer? You have to believe it before you can expect anybody else to.

There is no more fundamental truth of success in life than that.

3. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Colleague of mine had it best: We are over privileged and underpaid.

Listen, it too much to ask to be able to afford a mortgage. I am done with this business.

You know the problem is pride. We are willing to take peanuts to become stars in our communities. Right now, I want cold hard cash and anonymity.

4. Money007

Money007 Guest

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I have started to say this every time someone asks this, but here goes:

It is said that when an athlete ponders retirement, that's the end. The fire isn't there as much anymore, and the maximum effort no longer happens consistently. If you believe the love is lost, perhaps it is. But be sure; don't let a few bad days, a horrible coverage assignment (like say, prep swimming), an argument with a co-worker, or any other reason, lead to a mistake. The love might still be there, it's just that you had a bit of a spat because dammit, the meatloaf really sucked tonight, and you wanted pot roast anyway.

Good luck.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Thanks Piotr Rasputin. Now, I'm hungry.

(fixes "hungary.")

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what's your problem with meatloaf? hell, i kinda like two out of three ain't bad. ;)

8. Perhaps my viewpoint is too idealistic. But I think if you work your ass off, people will notice and the money will come. A mentor once told me that you do the work before you actually do the work. I apply that to my daily beat work as well as my career. Also, like many others have said, you've got to be willing to move (and sometimes sacrifice money for the sake of your career; almost like spending money to make money). Just my .2

9. Natchez

Natchez New Member

Piotr, it's not one event, or one bad assignment. Bad assignments come. It all comes out in the wash. I'll end up getting more good assignments than bad assignments where I'm at. But I just feel like my body is giving out on me. Let's just say there's a lot more traveling involved than normal.

10. Money007

Money007 Guest

I agree with Piotr. It sounds like you might be on your way out, or at least on your way to a break to figure out what you really want to do. But definitely do not rush anything. Give it some time and see how you feel. If it is the same, take the next step.

Best advice ever given to me - "Do what makes you happy and the rest will figure itself out."

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That's a Utopian take. But, it's not pragmatic.
    You have to be active in your future in the business.

12. Natchez

Natchez New Member

It's not activity that worries me, gets to me. Maybe I'm still worn out from fall/winter/early spring work, but I'm still tired. I still have trouble finding the fun in this.

Eh, anyways. Thanks for all the suggestions, thoughts, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted