1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Industry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Natchez, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

all of the above, rookie.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well fuck yes it is. our boy needs a change of venue.

3. Natchez

Natchez New Member

Songbird, I'd love to tell you what I do, but I'm afraid it might give away exactly who I am, and I'd rather not do that.

And for what it's worth, I feel like I can do all three of things you posted.

4. Natchez

Natchez New Member

I can't tell you how often I thought of this lately. I just wonder if I'm throwing things away before I give it a chance. I'm still really young, comparatively speaking. But if the love is lost, and I'm worn out now, is that a sign? That's what I keep looking at.

5. 25 years ago, a young Ron Jeremy said the same thing.. He's still (ahem) plugging away!

;D

Of course, didn't Kevin Costner hang it up for "the love of the game" in his movie? To his credit, he had Vin Scully serve as narrator.

6. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

sounds like your situation is draining your energy.

the best way to create energy is to create.

if you can report and write you can create.

there's a huge marketplace for creativity, books, films, magazines.

this is the ultimate darwinian business - you either create or die a slow death.

kick yourself in the butt, and create something the marketplace wants, something that is accessable and feasable for you. that's the only way to reverse negative energy. do it once and it becomes habit-forming.

7. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

I dunno. Like I tell my parents, "I think I could do this my whole life and get by." (working at the small weekly I'm at right now) But at the same time I feel like I'm capable of so much more. I especially feel bad because my parents gave me a wonderful gift of a four-year education at a great college and I don't want to feel like I've wasted it.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Here are the plain facts...
    The median journalist makes less than the median educator. The last number I saw put an average salary around 34K. Average teacher, 35K. Less than 12% make more than 52K and only 1-3% make more than 76K.
    If you got into this business to make a lot of money, you're better off going back to school and getting an MBA. I know there is big difference from making and a lot of money and being able to pay the bills. So, the advice I can offer is to be wanted. Otherwise, you will make your 2% raise each year all the while inflation passes your raise. So, look for jobs. Jobs you're willing to do. Look outside sports, but let them know your passion is sports.
    Get offers. Offers are just that. Take them back to your employer and ask them to beat the offer. All they can say is, "no." Then you have an option. Options are the key. You must have one or be working on one.
    I've been lucky in this business. I recognize that. But, at the same time, I've seen many, many paths. If you have questions, I would be happy to answer.
    And, lastly, Journalism is not a waste. It is a calling. And, it is not for everyone.

9. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

That's funny you mention "offers." Does anyone have any thoughts on using an offer to leverage a better salary at your current locaction?

I really enjoy my job as a reporter and have a tolerable salary. Was lucky enough to get offered a PR job that would have roughly doubled my income but I didn't want that job. However, when I "tried" to leverage a better salary at my paper, let me say I got beat down like a mule. My boss was having none of it.

Ive found I'm terrible when negotiating for myself and believe most of us are the same way. How can you get over that and really fight for yourself when the situation arises?

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I moved a lot when I was younger, and it certainly helped me advance.

It sometimes sounds stupid, but it's not, and it bears repeating:

As long as new places continue to want you, you haven't moved too much.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It's a fair question. But, here's the best I can do. GET OVER IT.
    I learned something early on: If you don't stick up for yourself, no one else will.
    Find an offer. An offer you're willing to accept if you have to. You'll know if you're truly wanted in your current position. Take that offer and use it. If they tell you to pound sand, you have a job. Good luck.

12. Ralphie

Ralphie New Member

Average teacher makes 35K? Guess it depends where you live. In many parts of the Northeast they start around 50K and top out around 90K. Of course, I won't get into cost of living. :'(

Draft saved Draft deleted