1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Industry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Natchez, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I Quark, therefore I am.

And yet, Satchell, I won't use other words for verbs, i.e. Let's vacation in Tahoe.

Something about the word and sound of Quark that is acceptable to use it as a verb.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Beginning teachers with bachelor's degrees in this state are required to make $3,000 more than I do right now. My parents, both teachers, were appalled when they learned what this industry pays.

I get upset that my J-school degrees aren't worth more. I put in just as many college credit hours (more, for the masters), have many technical skills, had more relevant work experience upon graduation, etc., than those who who majored in business or something else.

I didn't get into this business to get rich, but I find it degrading to be pushing 30 and qualify for food stamps as a single person.

3. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

It's supply and demand. We get paid what we do b/c the suits know that if we say no way, there's usually a line out the door of go-getters who will gladly take what we deem to be not enough. If you can acquire enough skills and work hard enough to create a market for your services (like there is a market for your job) the money will get better.

4. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

Same with professional athletes. Yea there salaries are beyond ridiculous, but...no one else can do what they do...so, they make millions.

5. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

That's cool. You'll always be my man because you're the only one with me to the end on Britney.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

She's a good girl.

7. Money007

Money007 Guest

There are two things that I think about when I'm feeling as bitter and frustrated with this industry.

1. I get to sit outside, in nice weather usually, keep score at a baseball game (who cares if its preps) and get paid for it.

2. At parties, with a bunch of accountants, secretaries and salesman, I probably have the most interesting job, despite the low pay. I still feel pride when a guy asks me what I do, I say sports writer, and they tell me how cool it is.

Perhaps I'm still an idealist.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I recently had an offer to join a pharmaceutical company as a rep. I would have started -- after six week's training -- at about twice what I make now and had a number of nice little perks. I thought long and hard about it but in the end, I just couldn't make the switch.

As bad as things are in this business, I do still love my job. And I know that we have it infinitely better than a lot of people in a lot of other industries who are punching a clock for a living.

Of course, every week since I said no, I look at my paycheck and imagine how nice it would be if it were doubled, but I do know I made the right decision because there are still a few damn good things about being a reporter.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Oh, Cadet. We've had this conversation before.
    When you first start in this business, there is only one way to advance. You must constantly be looking for a job. The only way to advance is to be wanted. And, you have to be willing to move. Move, and move often.
    That's the best advice I can give.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

30 years ago when I started at a daily newspaper my weekly salary exactly equaled my rent.

Today my weekly salary is about 50 percent more than my monthy morgage payment, even though the paper I work at now is half the circulation of the one I started at.

But it's tough to feel like I'm getting ahead when the bills come due each month because there's so much more to pay for.

11. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

So, this is confusing. I've also heard that the more you move, the more unstable you seem to employers.
    Then, I hear how valuable experience is but when you reach a certain point in your career you have too much and some employers find it threatening. Which is it?

12. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

Natchez, this may be the first step of realizing that you want out.

I don't know your situation, but from what you've written, the love of the game isn't enough anymore. You're mentally done with the business. Getting another job is just a formality. Hope this helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted