1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Industry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Natchez, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

shit...well thats where I heard it...dammit...

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

He posted elsewhere he's a Florida State student. Give him a break.

He probably heard that quote from his new journalism professor, Jenn Sterger.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You may have heard the quote on Scrubs, but that quote pre-dates Scrubs by more than 100 years.
    Even the government used the quote throughout the Depression.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I love busting ass. It's a rush.

5. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

sorry...im young, and I know alot of quotes by alot of famous people.

Forgive me if I get one wrong...

And I didnt say this is where the quote originated...I said this is where I got it from.

Does it have any less truth to it because of the place I heard it?

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It is awesome beyond words that this quote is identified as being from "Scrubs". Doesn't diminish the truth of it, but it just means you provided the members here with an amusing moment.

Like any business, sometimes busting ass still isn't enough, sometimes timing and networking are key. Which is the source of frustration for many. But if you do bust ass no matter what, you can always look yourself in the mirror.

There are definitely worse fates.

7. Songbird

Timing and networking were key in me getting this gig. Strange, really. I worked with a girl in another shop and she remembered my balls-to-the-wall work ethic, and this was 4 years after we'd gone our separate ways. That's the virtue of busting ass, because you never know who notices.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It's like that out in the real world, too, I'm learning.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You think journalists complain?
    Oh...my...god...Have you ever been in a social setting with gaggle of teachers?
    My wife was one for 11 years. Woe is them.

10. Natchez

Natchez New Member

My timing is horrible. But I thought I'd done an all right job of networking. I guess, in the end, I haven't.

I know what I'm running into here is typical for a lot of other jobs in other industries. I'm just getting frustrated. That's all.

Just a tough time in the world of Natchez.

11. Songbird

Natchez, don't hang your head. What is your goal for the end of this year? The end of next year? What is it you want to do in this business? What can you do? Take photos, cover 2 games in one day and write fantastic stories for each? Quark? All 3?

Tell us what you do. Some of us could help you focus up.

12. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Quark as a verb, Xan? You're better than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted