1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Industry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Natchez, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Natchez

Natchez New Member

OK, maybe this is a stupid question and my bitterness, cynicism and spitefulness with some things that have happened are clouding my vision, but is this industry going downhill?

I've been in a place for several years, seen other writers move on and in some cases, become as unhappy there as they were where we originally met.

There doesn't seem to be a payoff. Maybe I just suck (and honestly, if you were to ask me, that's part of my problem), but even when my friends move up, they're still not getting anything. Several are at much bigger papers and get paid poop still. I know you can't start sky high, but it'd be nice to make enough to support a family. Hell, then again, the hours we keep don't allow us to start a family, or even find a woman (in my case at least), to date.

I talk about moving on, but nothing is available outside that I'm qualified for. I got a damn journalism degree that, at this point, has done nothing but place me in Podunk America driving my ass off for work, working my ass off for work and getting paid barely enough to live a single man's life.

Yeah, I guess I'm just frustrated, and needed to vent. But I don't feel like there's anywhere for me to go, either to vent or career-wise. Few jobs are opening up that aren't at the newspaper in Tiny Town, U.S.A., or Population 500, Anywhere-ville.

and before you tell me to get a damned beer, I"m not a newbie. Just a new name. Been around for a long while.

You don't have to respond. Or you can tell me to get a life, grow up and whatnot.

Does anyone else feel this way?

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Going downhill? I don't know what would give you that impression.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The post that started this thread could have been written a decade ago.

But of course, that would have taken some foresight on the part of the industry as a whole.

If you have been around here for a while, you know the answer. I'll quote Mr. Mendez from the drug deal scene in the first "Lethal Weapon."

Yes, yes, Jesus Christ, Yes.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

For the love of the game. I've done this for the better part of 17 years. Been in and out of the biz but always come back because, like you, it's all I can do. But at least I can take pictures, and I know how to Quark, so I've acquired skills that would serve me well outside of this business. But I love this business for all of the frustration is presents us.

At the same time, I'm 35 and don't like covering prep games so much anymore. I'm ready for the next challenge, such as continuing to run the department but bringing in a bunch of young go-getter worker bees, sending them out to return me copy and art while I design the section and build an empire. I also want to start writing books even though I couldn't lick the dew off Hemingway's nutsack. I want many things. Until I make them happen, I'll slug away in this business, for the love of the game.

5. So here's my question: Was there a day when things were actually better? Or have journalists simply griped about everything since the dawn of the industy? I'm not directing that at you, Natchez, I just know that I'm in my late 30s and have been in this biz my entire adult life and I have yet to experience a time or place in which people weren't complaining about how the industry ain't what it used to be.

6. fishwrapper

Hemingway's nutsack? Thanks for that visual. ;)

Is this what you mean?
    [​IMG]

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Do you ever wonder when the game will return your love equally?

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've often wondered that about the women I've been with. I always love more than the love I get in return. I'm a glutton for punishment that way. Maybe it won't return my love equally. I don't expect it to, either. I would be unbelievably happy — proveably, demonstrably — if I could just have a handful of worker bees. I'm that close to turning my good section into a great one. That's all I want right now. And a girlfriend who gets me, and can accept me for the loving nut I am.

9. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

Different strokes, yanno? I know for myself, the business is loving me pretty good. I make a decent living to cover a sport that I enjoy a lot. I also enjoy the "locker room" feel of working in the sports office when I'm copy editing. I can't envision doing anything else.
    I also had a co-worker who was doing his "dream job" (his words, not mine) covering a beat for a major professional league. But, he felt there was more out there for him and left the paper and is embarking on a new chapter in his life. I'd go so far to say as the job was starting to love him, but he wanted more. Knowing him as I do, I'm sure he'll find what he's seeking. But, the main point I'm trying to make is, this industry CAN love you back. But, it's like a woman. You've got to get its attention, treat it right and show that you're the best man for the job.

10. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

Ill be a worker bee...

For those of you who have been in other industries?

Is it just this one where people complain things arent what they used to be...or is it similar in other industries as well?

11. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

"Nothing in this life worth having comes easy."

It's simple, but the truth is, to get anything you want, such as women or a great job...

you have to bust ass.

12. fishwrapper

Scrubs? Really?
    Ever hear of Booker T. Washington?

Draft saved Draft deleted