1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Incredible Shrinking Paper!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And I was just happy we went to a 50-inch web so that we didn't look like a paper from the 1920s.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Yeah, what the heck, candy bars have been getting smaller for years, while charging as much or more than ever. And no one has cancelled their daily subscription to those.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

JW:
    With all due respect, that's the problem. Consumers will by candy, cigs, gas no matter what. Newspapers need READERS not CONSUMERS.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'd agree. Most days this paper is bigger than other dailies, so a few pages off of 100 or more in the paper won't sound the alarms.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

With you on that, Sock Puppet. Just neglected the blue font.

Still waiting on the newspaper that commits itself to improving, enhancing and growing the product as a way of cultivating more readership and, presumably, better ad rates.

This industry seems determined to cut its way to better journalism and higher readership.

How's that working out for us?

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

So is that going to be in the editorial part of the paper or the classifieds? Maybe they're anticipating less classified ad (real estate, autos, jobs, etc.) and are budgeting that much less space?
    Maybe a part of it is a reduced news hole for business on certain days - for instance I know of at least one paper that doesn't have a business section on Mondays anymore to cut back on the newsprint costs.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

My paper shrank the web width (and height) like you're talking about a few years ago and didn't lay anyone off until 2-3 years later when there was a huge production merger and buyouts to trim staff. I turned down the buyout (which was based on time at the paper).

Joe

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

It's 1000 pages of editorial space; 3 pages a day. And of course the readers won't notice. They're idiots.

Draft saved Draft deleted