1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Interesting comparison... I seem to remember Murphy's time at the top lasting a lot longer than Carrey's, but Carrey has taken more risks than Murphy ever did.

How many times has Murphy played against type? Dreamgirls? Bowfinger?

Carrey has I love you Phillip Morris, The Number 23, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Majestic, Man on the Moon and Truman Show...

I'm sure it's tough for guys like Carell, Carrey and Murphy to decide if they're content to be Will Ferrell or Adam Sandler, or try to be taken more seriously as an actor... I've thought Ferrell was good in some of his more serious stuff, but with some of these guys, they've made you laugh so much over the years, that just looking at them makes you laugh...

In college, we watched a BBC version of The Tempest, which had a very young John Cleese in it and we just started giggling every time he he said anything...

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I haven't seen Yes Man. The last good comedy starring anyone in this movie that I have seen is 40-Year-Old Virgin.

3. Mizzougrad96

Carell has made some bad ones... There's no question...

I didn't like Little Miss Sunshine, or at least thought it was colossally overrated. Dan in Real Life was OK... Evan Almighty was a trainwreck. Get Smart was mildly amusing. Date Night was disappointing, but not horrible. I couldn't finish Dinner for Schmucks.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Only a few can do that. I never figured out how Kreskin did it, either.

5. Riptide

Is that the fault of the actors or the fault of the writers and/or the directors? A lot of these comedy films fall off the tracks because there isn't enough to work with.

6. Mizzougrad96

Carell really hasn't done another "goofy comedy" since 40-year-old Virgin came out... I remember as he was doing Evan Almighty and Get Smart, I remember him saying something to the effect of, "When you don't become really famous until this late in your career, there is a lot of pressure to take everything that is offered...."

I get that. He wanted to get paid.

He and Carrey have had their share of flops. They're both still funny as fuck...

7. Riptide

Carell is insanely funny to me. It must be frustrating on the weaker projects.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Are they still funny as fuck, though?

At their peak, they were awesome.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

i thought 'little miss sunshine' was great and 'dan in real life' an underrated film with a real heart.much of his other stuff since 'virgin' has been filler, true. anxious to see how this flick is received; the cast is sure promoting the heck out of it...

10. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Keep seeing the trailer. I vote flop....miserable flop.

11. Mizzougrad96

Unfortunately, a lot of really funny people make some pretty unfunny movies...

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

^^^^^

Draft saved Draft deleted