1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Increasing Relevance of The Players Tribune

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 19, 2014.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

SHould have called it "Da' Playas' Tribune"

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Hell, a lot of people never would have known about it, myself included.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Who is Tiger Woods?[/America under 30]

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Too bad Telly Savalas isn't around to promote it with a card.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"Hey, no strings attached to get the Player's Club benefits, baby!!"

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Here's what I don't understand. Don't all of these guys have their own web sites where they can put out their own statements? I don't get the value of this particular site, when athletes (Tiger is one of them) have been controlling their own messages for a long time.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Relivance was the sequel to Deliverance.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Tiger should have never gotten married and should have asked for advice from Jeter.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Can you imagine the working lives of the poor souls who have to write and/or edit this stuff for the jocks? Tiger Woods' ghost? I'd rather be a galley slave.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Devil's advocate re: someone talked about Tiger having such a huge platform and why does he need some shit-ass website to respond?

Would hate to think this whole thing isn't a put-on to get more eyeballs onto Jeter's toy.

A golf writer happens to write a spoof, and Tiger Woods just happens to get all pissy about it and responds on a new site for athletes, and ...

Has the funk of 40,000 years written all over it.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If Tiger really was that PO'd, he really would have made his point with one phone call to Nike: "Hey Phil, how much do you guys spend advertising with Golf Digest? I'd like to see you cut that by, oh, 95 percent next year."

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'd rather chew off my arm than ghost for Tiger Woods but I've done dozens of projects like that over the years. It's really not so difficult, especially when you're working with someone who has cogent thoughts and a bit of a voice. Is the nature of it substantially different than ghostwriting an autobiography for someone?

Heck, it isn't that much different than the old days when we took phone dictation from writers on assignment. There were a few guys who were absolutely masterful and you wouldn't have to change a word (Ed Schuyler, the boxing writer, comes to mind) but for most people you were just taking some notes to rewrite.

Draft saved Draft deleted