1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Idiot in Chief strikes again

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The phrase, "You made your own bed, now lie in it" applies to this Prez, like NO other.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Katie Couric came back from vacation.

3. You are not necessarily wrong.

Its just that you served and as someone who never served - Fenian feels more comfortable calling people chickenhawks who he knows never served (like me and himself - though I've explained about my two Marine brothers and my father's death)

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Cheney is a pallbearer, along with Rumsfield, Baker, Greenspan among others
    But Bush has no excuse for not being there, or maybe he does.
    I was watching some of the coverage earlier and I kinda got the impression that Betty Ford told him not to be.
    They kept emphasizing that she was calling the shots, down to the smallest detail. So I'm not sure if Bush was snubbing Ford, or if he called one last shot from the grave. Also noteworhty that Bush I isn't on the pallbearer list.
    The Newsweek guy led me to believe that Ford told Bush that Iraq was a mistake, but in private.

Ford factoids
    Told Woodward, in the same article that ripped the Iraq adventure, that dumping Nelson Rockefeller for Dole in '76 was "an act of cowardice" on his part.
    Was the first Eagle Scout to be President
    Is revered by female military officers and many, unlike Bush, planned on attending everything. Ford signed legislation that opened the service academies to women in '75, despite heavy pressure not too.
    Ford also led the way on Affirmative Action. Basically told Michigan to do it, or else.
    Some interesting stuff.

5. You still don't understand it.
    Chickenhawks are people who recklessly advocate policies in which they or their immediate families have no intention of actually participating. Real chickenhawks -- like, say, Victor Davis Hanson or David Frum or the vice-president -- not only advocate warfare from a comfortable remove, but also assault the patriotism and courage of those who believe their policies to be bloody and stupid.
    3BF and I are arguing over the relative merits of the incumbent president, to which the chickenhawk argument is largely irrelevant.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

David Frum is the worst of all.

He's a Canadian who headed south and embarrassed us all with his pro Reagan and Thatcher nonsense.

And then he came up with his "axis of evil" polemic. Lordy, who other than Chris and his ilk would have believed that crap?

The chickenhawks, mostly disgraced.

And one of these days, Chris L will actually understand what the term means. Maybe, but I doubt it.

7. Yeah cause Reagan and Thatcher were such awful people and such lousy leaders who just happened to lead their countries from the economic abyss's that liberalism was leading them.

Maybe someday you will understand what the term "till death does us part" before you utter it again. Maybe but I doubt it - jackass.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Where did I come up with "till death do us part?".

Once again, reading comprehension was never your strong suit.

Ah, but only Chris can fetch a red herring out of the pond and try to turn it into an argument.

Before you know it, Chris will credit Reagan with the fall of Communism.

And this from a guy who has believed the Rumsfeld/Cheney/Fredo nonsense from day one.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Douchebaggery, part deux.

10. Canada gave us Labatts Blue and Bobby Orr - other than that its just a pain in the ass. Maybe you can explain to us all how the death of Gerald Ford affects the balance of power in the world and thus gives you entree to complain about how the US is doing things wrong once again?

Is that the line you used to explain to your first two wives why you wanted a divorce?

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

While I agree with your chickenhawk definition, my gripe is with the sheer volume of "he's the worst president ever," posts, threads, discussions, etc.

Everyone knows where everyone here stands, right?

I do not think the president has done a satisfactory job. I'm glad he has only two years left. He sucks. It is time to find an end to the Iraq problem. I'm tired of it, too.

But, c'mon, brother. Let's let it go.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

People who disagreed with the Bush policies had to endure years of bullshit, being called "unpatriotic" by some of the same people who have now changed their minds. It is unreasonable to expect those people not to take some satisfaction now that most Americans now agree with them.

Draft saved Draft deleted