1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ice bucket challenge

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 13, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's what's really going to be annoying.

And none of them will ever be as successful as this one.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yep. Returns will diminish pretty rapidly depending on the cause and the cleverness of the associated stunt.

It will play out a little like the Livestrong wristbands. I imagine the second, third and fourth wristbands still did pretty well, but the 16,473rd not so much.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Can't we just appreciate both for what they are?

Also, please do some research for me that I could do myself. Is there a connection between the ice bucket and ALS? Numbness in the extremities or something? Or is it just something with that baseball coach that they decided to use?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's pretty funny to me to see the hate this campaign has engendered for some.

Some of the same people love hashtag campaigns.

Which campaign has accomplished more, the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, or the #BringBackOurGirls hashtag campaign?

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I've heard that the donations of a few celebrities have raised a certain amount of money. I've heard nothing about what the thousands of local anchors have donated other than a "look-at-me" clip for the 10-o'clock newscast.

This thing has gotten so out of control that in a week it's no longer about ALS but about big-egoed local news anchors.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

"Is this really helping" is a reasonable and fair question. According to ALS Association, the ALS community in general and the money, the answer is a momentous yes.

People that ask the question of "is this helping" and then write articles/posts criticizing the campaign without actually seeking out the answer to that question are irresponsible.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Most of the people I know (including some local anchors) are donating between $25 and $100. Is that not enough? How much should we all be donating?

8. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Obviously, over $1000. Come on, man.

::)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Every time I see a local TV news, weather or sports do it, it's "to raise awareness." No donation is ever mentioned. I'm not saying they have to mention the money, either. Charity is a personal endeavor.

So that makes me wonder why people can't quietly write a check instead of doing something incredibly stupid for public display and phony glory.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, there is the one where teenagers are lighting themselves on fire. Once we tie that in to raising money for burn victims, we'll be in good shape.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

They're only using water from flooded areas.

12. Morris816

Morris816 Member

This just in: Jim Harbaugh said that among the people he would challenge to do the ice bucket are Barack Obama and George W. Bush.

OK, now the hatin' can begin!

Draft saved Draft deleted