1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ice bucket challenge

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 13, 2014.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, this has really turned into an impressive fundraising machine. I saw one statistic early on that it had raised $168,000 for ALSA.org in one week, compared to $14,000 the same week last year. I know since then, those numbers have continued skyrocketing.

I just had to complete challenge today. Donated $100 upon completing it. I'm sure some people don't bother to actually donate, but the numbers show that many, many more are logging on and donating.

It's a brilliant piece of social marketing.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's harmless fun. It's free advertising for the ALS Association. And, more importantly, it has apparently helped raise a shitload of money for a good cause.

Man. What assholes!!

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They should go for a Deion-McCarver reunion.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You listen to Howard Stern? Yesterday, he was saying something like that will probably happen.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That would be so awesome.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I saw Gregg Doyel did it on CBS Sports and then challenged the coaches at Cincinnati.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Many years ago I recall a D1 baseball team (can't remember which, but it wasn't from one of the five major conferences) winning its regional while its coach, afflicted with ALS, watched from a specially equipped van. When the victory was sealed, the players doused the van with ice water. One of the most powerful things I've ever seen.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

East Carolina coach Keith LeClair died of ALS. Was it him?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

First I heard of it was when an Arizona women's basketball coach did it earlier this summer for cancer fundraising. It's a good cause - I really don't see what the problem is. (Except for those using small buckets with minimal if any ice)

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Bet that's right. The regional was at Clemson.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm sorry if you got the impression I was saying that. I wasn't intending it. I was curious if the charity was seeing more donations rolling in from all of it. It is, so that's awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Agreed. Is there really a significant lack of awareness of ALS that will be remedied by this kind of "look-at-me" behavior?

Draft saved Draft deleted