1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ice bucket challenge

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If you're one social media, I'm sure you've seen this. Sports figures, celebrities, even members of the media dumping buckets of ice water on their heads to "raise awareness about ALS." Roger Goodell has done it. Peter King has done it. Paul Bissonette did it with a helicopter. The entire NE Patriots team did it together.

Are those dumping the water on their heads also donating to charity?

2. The ones adding in the ice right before, or not at all, are showing real toughness.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Yes they are donating.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Can't wait until someone dies of a heart attack from this.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Wimps.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/north-carolina-woman-arrested-teen-fire-24942193

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Been kinda fun and for a great cause. Jimmy Fallon was challenged by Justin Timberlake and last night accepted the challenge with guest Rob Riggle and the Roots, a mass ice bucket dumping. Fallon then challenged the NY Jets.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My guess is that some are and some aren't. All, however, are involving themselves in a campaign to raise funds and awareness for ALS.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

OK. I just never see that mentioned. It's always "I challenge you to the ice bucket challenge!" No mention of a donation.

9. Awareness has slightly greater utility value than clicktivism and hashtags.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yet, thanks in great part to awareness driven by celebrity involvement, this campaign will generate more revenue than all previous ALS fundraising programs.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

$5.7M this year. Pretty impressive. Guess that's a little more important than "clicktivism" or hashtags.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

George Allen died from ventricular fibrillation about a month after his Long Beach State team gave him a Gatorade bath following the final game of the 1990 season.

Draft saved Draft deleted