1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The I word.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, May 11, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No, I just hear so much baloney from both sides about this thing, and no one's willing -- or trying hard enough -- to do a fucking thing about it.

Twatwaffles, the whole lot of 'em.

I think we misunderstood each other, so, we're tied at 1.

2. Of course, the bil he vetoed would have funded the war. So the choice is, for the moment, give him everything he wants and become further complicit in his catastrophe or, send him a bill he vetoes and then fail to override it.
    What would you have the Democrats do?

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'd hope they (that's both sides of the aisle) work a little harder to try and find a bill that he'd sign.

4. He won't sign any bill that doesn't give him precisely what he wants. Period.
    That's what the last 2 weeks have been about.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Here is what I think will happen. They'll send him another bill, he'll veto, the override will fail. Then they will sit down and put in "benchmarks." These benchmarks will be as concrete as Jello and they will be vague enough that when the time comes, the President will be able to say "This benchmark has been met, so we need to stay to see the job through" and Pelosi/Reid will be able to say, "This benchmark has not been met, so lets get outta there," and both will be able to make a prima facie case for their statements. And because he is the Commander in Chief, Bush wins that stalemate. The President will have weaseled into a way to get what he wants and the end result will be no different than what would have happened if the Republicans were still in charge.

If the Democrats had any gumption, they would follow Edwards' advice and keep sending Bush the same bill over and over again. Do what Newt Gingrich would have done circa 1995 -- dig a trench and refuse to move -- and make Bush do an act of Clintonian political magic to get himself out of the mess.

6. The point being that Bush doesn't have the mad skillz of Bill?
    Maybe. I like what Edwards is saying, too. The country? I'm not so sure.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I agree, totally. Fuck, that's what a majority of the country wants. But Democrats and all their pollers and consultants and other dumb fucks will wuss out and display balls the strength of fish food flakes, and give President Nimrod what he wants.

8. If the D's did what Edwards want, and the WH went fullcourt with the "D's hate the troops, want them to die over there, boogedy-boogedy!" meme, would the country buy it? I honestly don't know.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Well, if you are right that 70% of America opposes this war, how is digging in and forcing Bush's hand not going to be viewed favorably by the country?

10. Logic says you're right. My instincts say you're right. So, I guess my answer is, fuck it, do what you think is right and let the chips fall, which is the Edwards position.
    I just don't know if you're right. This country ceased behaving logically a couple of years back.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well if the D's let that happen then they should cease to hold office. Because setting up timelines for withdrawal, which the country wants, while still providing funding, which the country wants, is uh, what a majority of the country wants. If they somehow fuck that up it would be because of their own stupidity, not because the American people suddenly changed their mind or suddenly decided that Bush knows what he's doing.

That said, I totally expect Hoyer and Pelosi and the rest of the gang to capitulate.

12. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

If the Dems defunded the war, I would say great, you finally did something instead of posturing and stirring up the $hi+. I might not agree with it at all, but that's why we have elections. Then again, my guy lost the last two prez elections, so what do I know...

Draft saved Draft deleted