1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The hypocrites who run the NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bodie_Broadus, Oct 19, 2013.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Bodie's on the woe-is-me-everyone-hates-me bandwagon.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He needs to go to the What can we talk about thread and see the lines that exposed that it's all a conspiracy theory against certain posters and people are out to get him.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh, Bodie. Even I'd like to believe you're smarter than this.

The NFL's decision to bring awareness to breast cancer is an example of cause marketing. Maybe it will do some good. Maybe it won't. But, make no mistake, it's not a purely charitable move, there is a significant marketing aspect to it.

And, the fact that they choose to bring awareness to this cause, but not to mental illness, says nothing about the worthiness of any mental illness charity or cause. Not supporting a charity is not the same as rejecting it. There is only so much time, money, and energy available.

To properly highlight breast cancer takes a lot of effort, and they don't need anyone going off message.

If a player wants to support a cause, he's free to do it. He just can't do it on the stage the NFL has built, without their permission.

And, it's no different than in your workplace. If your airline was supporting breast cancer awareness, and had put up signage around the check in counters, and at the gates, that wouldn't give permission to a gate agent to put up signage to bring awareness to mental health issues.

Surely you understand this.

But, let's be honest. This post isn't about mental health, or the folks who run the NFL -- unless the need to play the victim is a mental illness:

This was the point of the thread. You wanted to feel sorry for yourself, feel picked on, feel marginalized.

Does it motivate you, or do you like the pain it brings?

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Right on cue.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

In case my other response wasn't clear, nobody here cares about your opinion that much. I certainly don't. You are wrong about this. Multiple posters have pointed out many reasons why you are wrong. There are absolutely cases of hypocrisy by the NFL, but this is not one of them. There is plenty of other reason to criticize the NFL, too, but you missed the mark. You are being too childish to actually try reading and comprehending the responses, instead choosing to cry like an infant.

6. Morris816

Morris816 Member

I said it elsewhere: If you think a rule is bad, then work to change it, but until it is changed, you have to enforce it.

With that said, I think the NFL has a bad rule in place because the NFL seems too paranoid about protecting its image.

I'd prefer the rule be modified to prohibit anything that results in a safety issue or is excessive. Example: Brandon Marshall wearing green on his cleats should be allowed, but you wouldn't allow him to wear green all over his uniform or wear a green jersey in place of the regular jersey. (For that matter, the NFL will never allow the players to wear pink jerseys, no matter how much they want to promote breast cancer awareness.)

(Edited for clarification.)

7. Bodie_Broadus

So I can see you post about how you guys don't play favorites?

I already know that's bullshit.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Go read the post. I said it WAS a conspiracy, that we ARE out to get certain posters. Moddy even got on me for exposing it. I'm on NDJ duties this weekend because of it.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not to shit on this, but more men will get prostate cancer than women will get breast cancer. I think it's something like a 15%/12% split, or at least they in the same ballpark. Breast cancer is horrible and people should give money to it, but I honestly think the pink clothes is used more as a PR tool than anything else.

Plus, the Koman CEO gets a huge paycheck. $684,000 huge.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I, for one, would look forward to the brown socks and flags.

11. Bodie_Broadus

It is PR, it's done to get more women to like the league.

I lost all respect for Komen when they shit all over Planned Parenthood, fuck them and their pink bullshit. The American Cancer Society is better any way.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, no question that the NFL decision to support breast cancer awareness is driven by marketing more than altruism. And there are some serious issues with the Komen Foundation. You are right on both counts.

Bodie is still wrong about the league's reaction to Marshall, though. The league controls this stuff, not the players. That is how it has been and how it will continue to be and Marshall knew exactly that. Hell, it seems like he counted on the fine to draw more attention to his cause.

Draft saved Draft deleted